lumpy steering

BX Tech talk
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

lumpy steering

Post by 350ci muppet »

ive just bought myself another bx which is my 5th. anyway its come with a few issues nothing major only one im not sure about is the steering its assisted and when you turn it its lumpy ive held my hand on both front spheres when turning it frm lock to lock and on the n/s one you can feel the lumpy bits but not the o/s would i be right in thinking top mount.
any help would be gd cheers
Paul
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Most likely cause is your LHM pump is getting tired.
They think it's all over, it is now!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Add Flow Divider Valve (FDV) to your list of suspects or Power Steering Piston Ram.

You thought it woould be easy to diagnos?
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Re: lumpy steering

Post by ellevie »

350ci muppet wrote:... I've held my hand on both front spheres ... thinking top mount...

:lol: Watch out for the Peelers :lol:
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

If the car hasnt been used for a while they can get a bit "sticky" I had a similar problem with my 16v after 12 months lay up, I changed the LHM and did some citroenaerobics (lock to lock, suspension up and down a few times) and hey presto its all ok now.

Worth trying at least.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: lumpy steering

Post by DavidRutherford »

350ci muppet wrote:would i be right in thinking top mount.
On any other car with McPherson struts, yes you would.

The BX, however, doesn't have strut-top bearings. The hydraulic suspension leg takes care of that, so if the juddering can be felt through one side more than the other, then you've probably got a stiff suspension leg.

Try the "vacuum up some LHM through the breather pipe" trick. Has been known to work wonders in the past.
this might be a signature
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

well the bloke i got it from said it was stood up for about 3/4 months but i think he was talkng complete bull as there was supposedly nothing else wrong with it the lhm tank was a little low as there is a little leak on the front so filled it up will keep pumping up and down and turning every now and then its fine although not as light as i remember my old gti so ill leave it for now and just use it and see what happens.
cheers chaps
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

well the bloke i got it from said it was stood up for about 3/4 months but i think he was talkng complete bull as there was supposedly nothing else wrong with it the lhm tank was a little low as there is a little leak on the front so filled it up will keep pumping up and down and turning every now and then its fine although not as light as i remember my old gti so ill leave it for now and just use it and see what happens.
cheers chaps
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

What colour is the lhm? If it's lost that electric green colour or is getting cloudy and/or brown you could be due a change and filter cleanout. Suspect the pump if the car's very slow to rise on initial start-up and the red warning light comes on for a long period during lift-up.

Last lumpy steering I tackled needed the hydraflush treatment on the hydraulic system. . Also, is the steering worse at lower temperatures than higher ones?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.