Not sure if this is the correct section Engine Gaskets

BX Tech talk
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

Not sure if this is the correct section Engine Gaskets

Post by paul001 »

For my mid term I need to totally recondition an engine of my Choice for the Engine rebuilding course I am on but I have ran into a couple of head scratching problems

I need to locate a full gasket set, Full Valve set, full bearing set and Pistons for the Xu9 Engine, GSF and Euro Parts are having problems supplying and locating the gaskets and they dont do Valves or Pistons. I am thinking about going +2 so mainly I need some advise on locating I am not fussed where they come from can be any where in Europe

If you know of a stockist can you advise please

Paul
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

You can find the gasket sets easily enough - certainly on German Ebay they are available and from Citroen suppliers here as I'm sure they are in England. I can send you a link to a German supplier if you're stuck

The rest must be obtained used as the price new would surely be prohibitive. There must be loads of XU9s lying around waiting to be dissected for your purposes.

It's funny as I was looking into this today, having just aquired a brand new complete head for one of my XU9s. Has been lying in a someone's garage for ten years and I got lucky.

Sounds like an interesting course you're doing. If I send my engine over you can re-build that!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

You'll need to talk to an engine reconditioner. They usually have deals with all manner of suppliers that you and I cannot deal with. Ferraris piston services in Southampton for instance will ONLY deal with a motor factors (with minimum 2 delivery vans) or an engine reconditioner (for which you have to supply your engine boring bar number)

I guarantee they would have all the parts you need for a very sensible price, but the only way you can get them is to ask a friendly engine reconditioner to order the bits for you and to sell them to you for cost.
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I must admit I am surprised that you have had no luck with Euro Car Parts/GSF, I wonder if it is a problem with the knowledge of the member of staff you were talking to?

A few months ago I was trying to find an oil temperature sender from GSF for the sump during a brief stay in civilisation (Bristol). After explaining what it is I wanted I was met with the standard "Computer says no" response, but offered everything with the word 'oil' in the title as an alternative... :roll:

Actually that reminds me of a situation at a Land Rover dealers a few years back - I was after a hose from the water pump on an early Range Rover engine.
Dealer: Sorry sir, the computer only goes back as far as 1990.
Me: Well, can't you please just have a look on the shelves and see if there is anything matching what I have in my hand?
Dealer: Sorry, we have far too much stock, and it's so old we wouldn't have it in anyway.
Old guy wandering in from the storeroom: Is that off a Rover V8?
Me: Yes...
Old guy: Is it the hose from the water pump to the inlet manifold?
Me: Yes!
Old guy (to the original bloke 'serving' me): Well that's part number FRC such-and-such, you'll find it on the second shelf down, third from the left.

Brilliant.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad