Retro Fitting Front Fogs

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Fog lamps are placed low to prevent glare and hence the improved ability to see in foggy conditions. Only pratts drive around with them on in non foggy conditions, typically to look 'cool'
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:The 'fog' lights on a BX do very little to help see better in fog IME.
I disagree Phil, their main purpose is not for distance but because they have a broad flat beam they will brightly pick out the kerb and road edge when the fog is thick enough that you can't see it otherwise. Essential on country roads in the fog and dark. :D

But to be honest you are right about the limited times you need them and as mine now need replacement I am considering replacing them with driving lights of the same profile which I would use more often. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I have to say, I've also rarely found any benefit of fog lamps over normal dipped beam (especially if said dipped beam is yellow rather than white.)

The primary use I have for front fogs is to put 300w bulbs in them and flash them at idiots coming the other way who are driving with their fogs on all the time...
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In an effort to improve the performance of my BX's foglights I have made them yellow. I had to use them early one morning a while back and I have to admit the yellow works better in fog. Not sure I'd want yellow headlights too, but if I lived in a place where fog was a fairly regular occurance then maybe.

I agree about twerps who drive around with them when it's not foggy. I did once :oops: but only because the switch is not exactly in yer face on a BX and I hadn't noticed it was on! Do'oh.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

"The primary use I have for front fogs is to put 300w bulbs in them and flash them at idiots coming the other way who are driving with their fogs on all the time..."

Good idea- I replaced my fog lamps with 100W spot lamps lenses from a Peugeot, and they work nicely on full beam only.

Since the introduction of smokeless zones, we rarely get fog around here,
but extra spotlights are great on the nightime A and B roads.

I have a general dislike for foglamps in the UK, as Bandit says 99% of their use is unnecessary by pratts in non foggy conditions.

I wish manufacturers would stop fitting them.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!