Knocking sound on sharp turns

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Knocking sound on sharp turns

Post by TB2 »

I took my BX for a spin yesterday on some twisty roads and for the first time I heard some knocking/clanking sound whenever I steered to the other direction. Coming from a left turn, going to a right turn there was a short knock and vice versa.

Anything I should be worried about? Is it a known problem or could it just be some lose screw or something dangling around? I read something about the steering wheel joint which sometimes needs replacement but I'm not sure what it is...
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

Anti roll bar drop links? lower ball joints? steering rack joint? something loose in the scuttle? loose roadwheel? wheel bearing? rear arm bearing? Lots of possibilites, need to jack it up and wobble things. USE AXLE STANDS, don't depend on the hydraulics to keep you alive.
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

knocking on turning

Post by paul001 »

Could be a CV joint quitting they make a knocking noise on turning
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Could be a CV joint quitting
Diagnostic: find an empty car park and put the steering on full lock in the "noisy" direction. Open windows help you identify the side that the noise is coming from. As you drive slowly round in a curve, a knackered CV joint typically makes a repeating clicking noise.

Driving either up or down one of those tight spirals on a some multi-storey car parks can also provoke that repeated clicking, if an empty car space isn't available to you.

If it's a single knock on changing direction, then it's something else. Is the steering still precise?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Doesn't sound like a CV joint. One clunk in either direction is something worn or loose...................steering rack, ball joints, steering joint or a.n.other.
Have a good look around underneath.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

If the checks mentioned fail to show up the problem, include a look at the rubber bushes either end of the lower suspension arm.

On my last-BX-but-one I had the rubber detach itself from the inner metal tube of the arm bushes, allowing front to rear movement of the suspension arm. The knock I experienced was then the sound of the arm hitting the washers and nut at the ends of the threaded rod running through the arm.

Tom helped me diagnose this by one of us sitting in the car moving the steering back and forth while the other felt the suspension components in turn to identify where the knock was coming from. Two people are also handy if checking the Hardy disc where the steering column links to the rack - one to waggle the wheel , the other to observe the disc.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Just a thought.........if its only one knock at the beginning of any directional change are you sure that there's nothing 'floating about' in the car? Either in the engine dept, in the boot, glove box or any where else as it could just be something loose moving and then coming to an abrupt stop when constrained by bodywork or the like. Always best to check the simple things so I would have a good ferret around in the car and remove anything thats loose and then give it a drive at least that way you can eliminate that Doh! moment... :lol:
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

mike st gilles wrote:I would have a good ferret around in the car
Ed...?

Last edited by mat_fenwick on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Good point - had an appalling knocking once which I traced to an old sphere that I'd taken off and put into the front scuttle next to the washer bottle - God knows why. When rolling around it made some VERY alarming noises.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Isn't that a meerkat, taking a sojourn from his very popular website? :lol: :lol: Come to think of it though, there really is nothing like a good ferret is there? Unless you happen to be a rabbit :lol: :lol:
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Another cause could be some play in the steering rack mounting bolts. I had this on a previous BX, and it took a while to locate, but seconds to fix, by tightening up the guilty bolts!
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Thanks for all the input! I'll try and diagnose the problem thoroughly next week.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.