Oh Nuts.... 9mm accelerator pedal problem

BX Tech talk
Nick

Oh Nuts.... 9mm accelerator pedal problem

Post by Nick »

Hi I've dropped a bit of a clanger, or rather I should say a 9mm nut. :oops: (I think) My accelerator pivot bracket had started to split and was becoming neigh on useless. Pressed the accelerator and nothing much happened. So off I went to Wicks and bought an angle bracket and "modified" it to support the original tin bracket and drilled a hole through it. Perfect little bodge if I say so myself. :lol:
Whilst putting the nut back on I dropped it and it had totally vanished. :roll: I checked the carpet and soundproofing, nothing, then I discovered an access hole to something or other and have been "fishing" arround hoping to pull the nut out. Zip, zero nothing.
Off to GSF to get the right nut.......... nope, they dont have one. Any ideas?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Jon, no access to any welding equipment, had to improvise. PM sent, Thanks again, Nick.
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

HA ha, i know the nut, the chances of you ever finding it are slim to bugger all (BTDT), welding and other bodgery wont help either! I suggest a new pedal box will be in order as even if you weld the box you will find very soon after that the accel pedal will snap off if the box dont fail again!

Ask jon, sounds like he has a spare!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

there's nothing magical about the pedal - all thats necesary is that its held rigidly in the right place. Citroen bolt it to a flange on the pedal box for convenience but how its held is of no importance so long as it does its job.

Welding the flange back on is one option but its in a bit of an awkward place and there's the risk of fire. However with luck it could be welded quickly and thats why it would be a popular option.

I bolted mine up with a small length of 1 inch angle when I first got the car 6 years ago and haven't even looked at my handywork since (probably just as well as I did the job in the dark!)

B&Q have a better range of bolts and nuts than Wickes. Some small car accessory shops keep boxes of odd ones.

jeremy