BX clocks

BX Tech talk
Mothman

BX clocks

Post by Mothman »

Hi all,

Is it me or do all BX clocks just fade away. My BX Estate was an eBay special for 350 quid 3 years ago and is still going strong and when i got her the clock display was quite visible and green in colour. Not long after it seemed to fade away and after 2 replacements its no better. I can see the time with the sun on it but only then and the rest of the time its almost impossible to see. All the clocks work ok jut cant hardly see them. I have thoroughly cleaned all the connections but this dosnt make any difference.
Anyone with any ideas? Will i just have to live with it and buy a seperate clock?

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Andy its probably just the bulb in the back of the clock that needs changing or maybe a bad connection, try that first. Can you see the clock at night, failing that Im sure someone has a spare clock somewhere for one.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Roverman,

i am afraid i cannot see it at night and all the replacement clocks have been the same. I will have another go at cleaning up all the connectors to see if that helps. A bit fiddly re the female ones but i will give it a go and let you know what happens.

Many thanks,

Andy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

If the illumination is working correctly you should get:

1) Bright backlight when ignition on but no lights selected.

2) Dim backlight with ignition on and side/beams selected

Sounds like connectors and/or wiring may be your problem if you have this problem on 3 units.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

No worries Grenman, as way2go says try the connectors first, I do have a spare clock somewhere you can have but I have to find it! :D
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks Waytogo

have done as you said and it lit up like a christmas tree so there was a loose connection, I will have to keep my eye on it[when i am not scratching them as i did last Friday] as the connection is not perfect.I have missed this not working for the past 2 and a half years and all it was was a simple fix.

Thanks to all of you.

Andy
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

You're welcome Andy! :D

As Hannibal says " I love it when a plan comes together". :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I've been mulling over the idea of putting a more powerful LED in place of the bulb. I have difficulty reading the clock display in direct sunlight, and if I need the (side)lights in the morning, forget it! (because of the auto-dim feature).

Mark.
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Mark

You can carryout a mod on the digital clock to achieve night time illumination during the day, by bypassing the resistor on the clock printed circuit board, connected to the dim circuits.

Dismantle the clock. Looking at the rear of the circuit board with the unit horizontal.
At the top left and above the 4 connection tabs, you should find a diode and a resistor, inline, and running horizontal.

Just bridge the resistor with a small section of 10-20 amp fuse wire.

Regards
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Erm prm
I think you meant day time illumination in the night or with lights on during the day.

Excellent mod though. I have done it on all my BXs.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Is it difficult to do? Do you solder the fuze wire?
Sorry if i sound a dimwit but i am not particularly technical, especially with car electrics.

Andy
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Many thanks Jaba, Senior moment !! Glad my wiring is slightly better!!!

Andy

Locate the resistor, tin the ends of the bridge wire and solder onto the points of the existing resistor, leaving the resistor in place.

Not to difficult to modify. A smallish low watt soldering iron works well.

Make a U shaped loop with the bridge wire, bent to line up with soldering points, held in place, and then apply a blob of solder to the original connection points.

All your doing, is bypassing the resistor that normally reduces the voltage for dimmed/reduced illumination.

Regards