Driveshaft Retaining Bolts

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Driveshaft Retaining Bolts

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Has anybody ever had trouble removing the driveshaft retaining bolts on the long shaft? The ones you undo and rotate to allow the shaft to come out?

I'm changing the clutch on the Talbot Express (same retaining feature design as the BX) and i just cant shift one of the bolts, the nut is removed but the rest seems to be seized in the housing.
Over and out from me
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

if you havent already a brass drift and a big hammer is where i would be going
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Have you put plenty of loosening juice in there ( from both sides)? Those recesses for the lugged end seem to be a magnet for any cruddy stuff that's been flying around, and it's not always easy to clean them out given that a wire brush won't really get in there. A bit of that crud may have been pulled in by the lug when last put back in and solidified to act much like a dollop of threadlock.

Cleaning both the bolts and the recess afterwards may make it easier next time (yes, I know nobody really wants to pull the driveshaft off again too soon but you never know urgent that driveshaft boot replacement for the MOT might prove to be).

That said, there's not much option except "persuading" them out as suggested (have found myself doing that before now), but anything to generally degum the area first can't really do any harm.

I've found myself wishing for an extra head and pair of hands when it comes to refitting them ....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you loosen the nut so it covers the end of the threads before hitting it, that should protect the bolt from damage.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

That still has great potential for fucking the threads you know mat, the nut really isn't deep enough to stop from damaging the little threads.

Fearny, i have on one and only one occasion had to remove the whole mount housing from a diesel engine to get the bolt out, it had corroded at the hockey stick end, a bit of heat got it out.

I suspect the best way to loosen it might be to attack it from the other end (ie not the bolt end) and give it a good old whack with a punch. The threads can be quite delicate. Failing that, just drift the whole shaft out as normal, you'll be able to put more force through that way.

If you want more help, you might try the BXProject Forum there are a lot of regulars from here with better knowledge than me for unsticking stuck things!
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I got it out in the end but have damaged the alloy casting it runs through. On the Express its part of the sump, Citroen want £400 for a new one so i'll have to take it off and try out the welders at work :cry:
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

You may regret that, and the statement that you'll just "take it off".

... because you can't. The lower sump pan is removable, but the main sump casting which includes the bearing housing is essentially a lower crank-case, and is bolted to not only the block, but also the timing casings, so the only way to get it off is essentially a complete stripdown of the timing end of the engine.

I've had a good look at it, as I have a similar issue with my C25. The bearing housing on mine is mashed to pieces, but it still works for the moment, so I'm not touching it!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
this might be a signature
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Ouch - makes the BX look like a paragon of good design practice..
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

David, you're nearly correct.

You can get the sump off the timing gear end with only 4 or 5 bolts to remove at the bottom BUT you have to remove the flywheel to get the remaining 2 off.

Of course the damage caused to the lower part of the gasket on the timing belt engine end plate could involve an engine out job. I'm hoping to use a combination of a part replacement gasket and some Loctite Instant Gasket.

Gearbox due to come off AGAIN later this week. My biggest concern is getting flywheel bolts which are NFP at Peugeot as are the gaskets.

DLM, you're right its a truely sh1t piece of design.
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Same as many CX's....

You're doing well if you can get the gearbox off with the engine in situ.. I chickened out and pulled the complete assembly before trying to split them.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I suspect theres more room on an Express than a CX. I managed getting the box off fine.

Its damn heavy putting it back on whilst trying to be so careful not to let the box rest on the camshaft!
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Not exactly how I intended to spend my Easter holiday :?

Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Oh well, hopefully resurrection is at hand....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

That's a faimilar sight.

Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

David, is that a 2.5 NAD?
Over and out from me