New Bx Owner Needs Help !!!

BX Tech talk
lee1983

New Bx Owner Needs Help !!!

Post by lee1983 »

Hi all , just bought my first bx which seems to be a lovely car 1.9 tzr auto 1990 (H) , problem is today after many miles over the weekend in my new car i went to start her and she just about turned over then nothing, i jump started the car from a friends van and it started first flick but all the dash lights were very dim and when i turned the headlights on or braked the dash lights went even dimmer and now it wont start without a jump, the battery and alternator were both changed in november and all was working perfectly. Any Help greatly appreciated.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi (and welcome to the weird 'n wonderful world of BX'ing!)

It definitely sounds like either a duff battery, or the alternator not replacing the charge in that battery!
Before splashing out on a new one, could you try a known good battery from someone? Also check the alternator belt tension, and check all the wiring terminal connections to the alternator.

Good luck

Dave
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome aboard Lee, 19TZS auto? nice! (my favourate model), as Mountainman says its most likely a duff battery and worth getting it checked and charged before you buy a new one.

Any pictures of your new car?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

get it running, put a volt meter across the battery to see what the alternator is chucking out, with the revs at around 2.5K, then switch on heater fan and head lights on main beam, see how much the volts drop, you should see around 14.5V's

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Citronut's test is very necessary to diagnose the problem - you don't want to end up buying a new battery and then just draining it.
check all the wiring terminal connections to the alternator.
I'd also check the wires themselves for continuity if something seems to be amiss in the charging. Leads passing across the front of the engine can fry and fail if not sheathed. If the wires appear OK I'd clean all terminals and remake all the relevant connections to good bright wire ends.

Did the battery warning light glow at all beforehand, or maybe only with lights on? As BX ignition switches/leads age, earth faults are not unknown, and it all adds up if charging connections aren't what they should be too.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
lee1983

thanx

Post by lee1983 »

thanks for your replys i tested the battery which was at fault and replaced it with a new one from euro car parts for £28.50 with a 4 year warranty which i thought was extremely cheap and shes running like a dream
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent news, nice and cheap too, would like to see some pictures Lee if you have the chance?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
lee1983

update

Post by lee1983 »

car drives ok until headlights are put on then it seems to drain the battery until it eventually dies, any suggestions ?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Live and learn time. A battery that's continually being drained doesn't last long so it's not surprising the old one was naff on a battery tester. That's effect not cause - you need to find the cause. There's not enough output from the alternator to the the battery to recharge it at the moment : the previous posts and suggestions tell you what to check.

Do you have a voltmeter to make those checks? Click on this this link to the BX DIY site for some info: http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/ele ... ectric.php

The cause could be either electrical or mechanical.

If electrical, it 's one or more of the following:
(i) The alternator, which charges the battery when the engine is running. Over time, the brushes in the alternator wear out. If they wear out, the alternator stops producing a charge.
(ii) Connections from the alternator to the battery - if dirty or corroded, resistance increases and the charge doesn't reach the battery
(iii) The wires between the alternator and the battery - these can be damaged by engine heat or by carelessness when doing repairs or maintenance (e.g. replacing the starter motor).

If mechanical , it's most likely to be the alternator belt which takes drive from the engine - it turns the alternator to produce an electrical charge for the battery. If the belt isn't tight enough, the belt slips, the alternator won't turn and it won't charge the battery.
lee1983

Fixed Her yay

Post by lee1983 »

ok thank you so much for your replies and advice , i checked all the wires coming from the alternator and found that a small spade ended wire had been rubbing against a bare metal piece of engine and worn through so i replaced it right the way back and cable tied it to prevent it wearing through again and she's going great. will be posting some pics later tonight.

thanx again
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Pleased to hear there was an obvious fault to be found. Hope you can enjoy the BX now.