This may sound stupid....

BX Tech talk
retrodriver
BXpert

This may sound stupid....

Post by retrodriver »

While doing my MOT checks on the new BX ive noticed the horn doesnt work, no problem I thought, well ive looked everywhere and can only assume it doesnt actually have 1! Where abouts is it located on the BX and how is it wired?

I have found 1 single wire with a green female spade connector on it that isnt connected to anything just behind the nearside headlight, is that it? If so I dont get 12 volts when I push the switch, the fuse is fine and the heated screen does work which of course is on the same circuit.

Any help much appreciated!
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

It does indeed have one but its hidden away behind the front bumper on the passenger side, there are 6 torx screws that hold the bumper on. 3 at the top inbetween the headlamps and 3 undeneath.

Undo them (put it on high to get better access but dont sit undeneath it!) It should then with a bit of a yank pull/slide off. When refitting (with the tooter working) make sure you get the plastic mountin clips that fit in the bottom of the front wing lined up before you push it on.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

thankyou!! I bow to your knowledge its been driving me crazy! the bloody haynes manual is sodding useless!
Alex

kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

You will have better access if you remove the nearside wheel and remove the wheel arch protector to the front.

In saying that I also have a sicly sounding horn that passes checks but is embarrssing to blast as yet I havent fixed because of the access and a rusted nut. Kinda low on priority list.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Normally its a bad connection, i take it you have checked the fuse first :wink:
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The horn feed's green, like many others. It should go down into that inaccessible area, with an intermediate connector somewhere along the way.

Haynes says they're transparent connectors. Most BXs looms have a few stray connectors that aren't connected up - I think that's what you've found with the red one so ignore it. Haynes' leccy stuff is normally better than the rest of it - they are official diagrams.

I'd go for Kiwi's route to the horn, rather than the bumper. Both hold the risk of rusted-in screws/bolts but the bumper might just have some captive nuts that've turned fugitive - a pain.

You can of course check the proper connector in the way you describe before, with earth lead clipped to bare-metal bodywork or engine. Corrosion on the comnectors or the horn retaining nut is VERY likely.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

I did whip the bumper off and there it was, lurking. So the fuse was good I knew that, took all body earths apart and cleaned them, put it back, nothing...but I checked I was getting 12 volts and I was, so popped down to my friendly parts shop and got a new horn, now she beeps away properly. Thanks for all the help guys!
Alex

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice cheap easy fix there Alex, great stuff!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Great to hear you got it sorted Alex! :D

Everyone needs a correctly-working beep!! :wink:
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

yep so far it all seems good on the road to MOT worthy...and the cheap fixes are the best sort hehe
Alex

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

That's the fun of owning a bx, right?

No trips to the garage so the keepers of the holy grail can inform a jumped-up bit of proprietary hardware & software that the headlight bulb's been changed, the sort of thing that course presents a threat to mechanical integrity, free trade, and the right to empty pockets ...

And the motor industry wants us to scrap the cars that don't have these megalomaniac tendencies?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

DLM wrote: And the motor industry wants us to scrap the cars that don't have these megalomaniac tendencies?
Absolutely shocking :twisted: I see even Citroen are offring a £2000 scrappage deal if you buy one of their new cars now...

Amazing what you learn watching Red Dwarf on Dave...

Seriously, in these environmentally aware times, the powers that be should be encouragiong us to keep our cars going and not going ot buying new and getting into debt :twisted: What's it they say about lunatics and asylums?

EDIT: Love your signature Mr. DLM :D Quality!
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Citroen scrappage scheme? Only on one model, the C4, when I last looked. A shame if they can't shift them as I understand it's a decent car, though in a very competitive sector of the market. Looks more to me like a variant of £2000 minimum part-ex, no further discount on list price.

The small print in the ads in last week's papers was interesting too .

You must present the car, a certificate of destruction, V5, insurance documents, proof of ownership over a 12-month period etc.

Now, I know someone in a legal department somewhere sweated blood over that (possibly), but there's a logical flaw in the order without mention of time-frame, unless the ad was held over from April 1st.

Cheers, Jim! You did ask for names in signatures somewhere or other, and I'm unlikely to be taken for another David or Dave for the moment. Never say Dai!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

CitroXim wrote: Amazing what you learn watching Red Dwarf on Dave...
Rather a shame they bothered making new ones IMHO.
I thought they were rubbish.

Imcidentally, if you own a P2 16valve, you can just remove the tow wyw cover and access the horn that way, if you have smallish arms.
If you have any other BX, then I'd just pull the wheel arch liner rather than remove the bumper, but meh..

Oddly, my red car (started life as an RD) only had a singletone horn, that died just before the last MoT.
So I thought I'd stick twin tones in it. Expecting to have to add a relay and some wires.
But no!
The wiring was already there for it, and every BX with single tone horn I've looked at since also has the wiring for two horns!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

DLM wrote:Looks more to me like a variant of £2000 minimum part-ex, no further discount on list price.
You remember then the drive in the late 80s then when Lada did that deal and FSO flooded the UK with the Polonez cars? The working man on a low income could now afford a car and every council estate and beyond was littered with Brand New F reg Cars in 1988!

3 years later after the HP period on them ended not many left on the road after the rust came through and the emission laws changed! With the push to unleaded which theses cars couldnt use :roll:

Yep my parents had one of these heaps :roll:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91