LHM Reservoir..... Help!

BX Tech talk
mike st gilles
BXpert

LHM Reservoir..... Help!

Post by mike st gilles »

Help,...... I really have desperate need of an LHM reservoir....after my recent replacement of the power steering pipe and subsequent movement and replacement of LHM I noticed a leak in the system after an overnight stop. Looked today and found it to be the bottom of the LHM reservoir has a hole in it...........only me ! I thought. Has anyone else had this happen ? More importantly has anyone out there got one they could send to me Postage paid etc etc of course..as I don't think I could get one locally although as I only discovered this about half an hour ago all the stealers are shut and I won't be able to find out til Monday now anyway.....solved it temporarily with some gaffer tape but how long that will last who knows?
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have probably got several, if you pm me your contact details i can send you one for a small fee pluss caridge

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Chewing gum from the inside might work!

Edwards and Son will have one. Go to their website/phone them and Mark will get one off to you ASAP.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Thanks for the replies......managed to 'surround ' it in a placcy bag for last night and it seems to have stopped the loss to the road at least.
Going to try my local scrappy this am. If no joy will be in touch, Malcolm. Thanks for the Edwards n soninfo Phil.
Cheers Mike.
Mike
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

just an update to this....managed to source one local (10 miles) to me and going to get it in the morning. Does seem to bring up a point re this reservoir...it was correctly fitted into its little rubber collar and then mounted into the 'ring' and secured with the rod for so doing, yet the very centre of the bottom of the reservoir has rusted through! From the outside in!
Could it be due to condensation forming on the bowl which could be warm from the LHM ...any ideas.....I hope the 'new' one I'm getting is in better shape :lol:
Mike
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

clean and degrease the new one and stick some underseal or a waxoil type stuff on it that should hold corrosion away for a good few years. Might do mine as ive got to repaint the battery tray etc so while im in there.....
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if you stick either underseal or waxoil under it, it will make the job of removeing and handling it when cleanning the system a hole lot more messy,

i think as long as its paint coat is intackt i would just leave it at that

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
retrodriver
BXpert

Post by retrodriver »

i mean that light sort of clear stuff you can get, great for underarch protection etc and doesnt 'stick' stuff together so much....not the really heavy black stuff
Alex

1991 BX 16 TGS 104k miles, FOR SALE
2007 Grande Punto Sporting
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Ok, final update on this (I hope) I found out that you can't buy these from Citroen any more although they are still listed !!!!!! Managed to get one from Edwards and Son (thanks for the info Phil) drove out there yesterday and purchased said item for the princely sum of £29 give or take 25p. Fitted it yesterday and drove a 100 miles on it last night ................all seems to be ok just out to check it in a minute but no pools underneath it that I can see from here (and there was a green lake under it yesterday!)
Might be worth investing in one of these if you get the chance......indie repairer I spoke to yesterday told me that he had come across the problem of corrosion on this part quite a few times in the past.......going to keep my old one and see if I can get someone to patch it for me. ta for the help again..
Mike
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You should've contacted me! I'm only a short distance from there. Anyway, glad you got it sorted. 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

glad to hear your sorted now, you could always solder a patch or the hole in the old tank

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Mine developed a leak a couple of years back after I put Hydraflush in. At first I fixed it temporarily by having the resevoir sat in a plastic carrier bag.

In the end it turned out to be a tiny pin hole in the botton. A small blob of araldyte has stopped it leaking ever since. :D
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k