LHM leak!

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Boxwolf wrote:Where can I order one from for £30? I can only see them on GSF and citispares for over £40
They have gone up at GSF and are now:

N43406 RETURN PIPE, BX WITH PAS OCTOPUS RETURN PIPE, £39.10

So with your BXclub discount card that's 39.1 - 10% = £35.19

Vat was always an add on so at 15% makes it £40.47 total collected from your favourite branch
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'd try and find out if either is genuine..
I ordered one from GSF a few months back and that was the genuine Citroen item. Ring them and ask - stocking policies seem a bit changeable there.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote:
I'd try and find out if either is genuine..
I ordered one from GSF a few months back and that was the genuine Citroen item. Ring them and ask - stocking policies seem a bit changeable there.
I've just bought a pair of strut returns from GSF and they are pattern parts with a dimple effect on the exterior of the pipes. I did ask whether they had the original Citroen type but there answer was that "pattern parts are all that is available now due to the age of the car Sir!" . :(
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thinking about it there probably isn't much of a market for anyone else (other than Citroen) getting tooled up to make a pattern octopus. But I guess still best to check...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Thinking about it there probably isn't much of a market for anyone else (other than Citroen) getting tooled up to make a pattern octopus.
Which makes it all the more important for people like us can pool minds, resources and expertise to come up with alternatives. There are 3 sub-assemblies combined by Citroen into one part (1,3 below - lhm return groups, one vent line -2 below) . Each should be capable of replacement individually. I

've replaced sub-sections a couple of times with homebrew plumbing with help from someone who likes their metal gas-plumbing fittings, displacing it a little rearward and tie-wrapping to avoid clashes with the rack boot (second pic).

The push-fit, articulated (Boxwolf's problem) and bent-back links on the octopus are known weak points that've been tackled in different ways or improved-on in various ways by people doing repairs. That said, I'm not sure I've yet replaced the sub-assembly (1 above) that's failed on Boxwolf's car, which has the potential highest-flow parts. I still think there are possibilities and refinements here, though. Anders, for example had a mod for adding a section of return pipe from a rear height corrector to beef up the vulnerable bent-over pipe from the front height corrector. I seem to recall using wash-wipe hose as a link here myself.

The next time someone embarks on a ground-up strip-out and rebuild of a BX (the only way to be really sure of a good bodyshell) then that would be a perfect time to attack the problem. Alternatively, the next bx-clubber's engine-swap?

On a slightly different point, it's a shame that scrappage and suchlike is depleting the supply of available bodyshells, as even if some BXs are available for a while in yards over the next 12 months (debatable), then the complete shells will have been effectively condemned for any future use, no matter how good (case in point, the Cornish GTi).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.