GTI 8V not sitting low

BX Tech talk
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

GTI 8V not sitting low

Post by paul001 »

since all the brake work on my GTi 8V it is not sitting low as it was before replacing the brake pads and discs along with renewing the LHM

It has the standard steel wheels with the horrid plastic covers. Before the work the car would drop to just below half way down the wheel now its sitting just above 3/4 the wheel is this normal after full brake and LHM replacement I remember someone saying I will notice a difference which I am after doing 2000 odd miles this week on holiday in Europe. One thing I have been told is it should have alloy wheels and not the steel ones would this make a difference
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Sorry, I'm not getting it - is the ride height of the suspension different than before changing LHM? - this should not happen as the height is maintained by an external mechanical system that operates the hydraulic corrector slide valves.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

As above?

Not all Gti's came fitted with alloys, i believe they were an option. Do they feel any different to steels, erm no, but alloys are ftw :D

If your steelies are the correct type for the gti, they should be 5.5j's theres usuall someone in the club who wants to upgrade their tyres to 185/60's but they would rather have steelies than alloys as they are a bit more fiddely to fit etc....Who knows, someone may want to do a swap with you.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
paul001
Confirmed BX'er

GTi

Post by paul001 »

I will have a look at the height adjuster tomorrow. I have read elsewhere that if there is air in the back suspension that will alter the height of the rear

Cant see how the height adjusters have moved or anything as they werent touched. Infact the rear feels harder than it was before not so bouncy

Will have a look. And if anyone wants to swap a set of steel wheels for a set of genuine Alloys then let me know
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The fundamental question is this: is the car riding higher while driving or just settling higher (i.e. not sinking so much) after being left for some time?

Unless

(i) something was very amiss before fluid change (low lhm levels), or

(ii) you did a radical overhaul to change an excessively- leaking-back hydraulic component

then nothing should change in terms of ride height because of what you've done.

Fluid change will probably make the car feel different to drive , and the car will almost certainly stay up longer after switch-off, for the time being - eventually it'll most likely change. Ride-height while driving shouldn't change at all (but see edit below).

Try some Citaerobics, see if there's anything different between ride height

(a) when you move from lowest position to normal driving position

(b) when you move from highest position to normal position

If there's a difference, suspect linkages and lubricate the pivots fully first before even thinking about trying to adjust ride height. Work them thoroughly through Citaerobics after lubrication before repeating the test (a) and (b). A hydropneumatic citroen shouldn't sit lown unless you put the height level into low . If you make it sit too low, you've got less suspension travel (it's one way only really -down) and the suspension won't work the way it should.

EDIT - was writing while you posted - sorry if what's above is OTT
I have read elsewhere that if there is air in the back suspension that will alter the height of the rear
Normally air only gets into the rear circuit in the brakes - which does have an effect - rear-end rise when braking, swiftly followed by a sit-down again. AFAIR this happens because brake and suspension have a common supply at the rear of the car.
Last edited by DLM on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Easy way to check ride height is :
First there should be a gap of about four fingers between the top of the front tyre and the wing. The rear height is then ok when the sill is horizontal. This usually exposes 3/4 of the rear wheel.
These adjustment are not too critical really unless the ride height is too low when you run the risk of hitting the bump stops on uneven surfaces.

The adjustments are not precise - there is slack and friction in the height corrector linkages which give rise to variations and of course frustrations when you are trying to get it right and come back after a test run to find the height has settled to a completely different position from the one you set earlier.

The half rear wheel showing you used to have however is too low. You should have more wheel on show than this. So whatever has happened has been in your favour.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.