Vent and overflow pipe on the suspension strut

BX Tech talk
pitman
BXpert

Vent and overflow pipe on the suspension strut

Post by pitman »

Hi all.

does someone know the orientation of the vent and overflow pipe on the offside front suspension strut?

Which one is looking ahead or is on the right side looking at it with the wheel off?

I mean those rubber pipes that are part of the octopus. The vent pipe is that short piece that gets connected to the octopus centerpiece from above and the overflow pipe is directly part of the octopus.

Also, does someone know what happens if you would have swapped them?

Not sure if I did hence the question ... :oops:
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the two pipe's which are attatched to one block clipped to the susp leg/struts, i do not think it makes any differance which is which as were they leave the strut they are one and the same,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

As someone who recently replaced a octopus I think I dd the same as you on the opposite side of the car. Of course 50/50 chance getting it right but saying that 5 months down the line no problems.

I tend to agree it might not be a drama as those rubber pipes are low pressure return and vent pipes.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Surely, both pipes emerge from that one block on the suspension struts but unfortunately, I never exmined that part.

At least, the overflow pipes are rubber and part of the octopus and the vent pipes are only plugged into the centerpiece of the octopus.
Why should Citroen do it more complicated as necessary?

Also, the Haynes manual has a photo with arrows to each pipe. Only, I couldn't find out what side this photo is actually. To me, it seems to be the nearside.
And even then, I'm not sure if it's symmetrical. Probably not, as there is only one kind of return pipes from the suspension strut (the thing with the block) if I'm not mistaken.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

one of the pipes which eventualy conects to the N/S leg pipe via a metal joiner fitted to the underside of N/S chassis rail, dose/is part of the OCTAPUSSY and runs through the plastic sleave along the front/top of the subframe, this pipe is usualy about 6 to 8 inch's to long so i snip it off at the right length, the other N/S leg pipe after leaveing the metal conector and reaching the OCTAPUSSY plugs into one of the 4 short tails,

there are in all 11 pipes comeing from and to the OCTAPUSSY and the short plastic one which plugs into the top surface comes from the O/S leg pipe metal conector

the leg pipe/s are moulded into one block which is an open cavity, which is strapped to the leg with the cavity facing and over one hole in the leg wall

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)