Rear door lock/latch

BX Tech talk
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Rear door lock/latch

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

All of a sudden it has started to become difficult to get one of my rear doors open; it happened a while ago, but then just started working normally again, now it has started sticking again.
The lock seems to release most of the way when you pull either handle (inside or out), but then just catches a little and need a bit of a tug to get it to actually release completely.
I have tried lubricating the lock mechanism with with WD40 and with white grease and if you move the lock mechanism with a screw driver it seems to move quite freely. It seems as though when release it is not springing to the unlatched position strongly enough.
Has anyone else had this problem? Can you get to the lock internals with the door trim off? or is the lock a sealed unit?

Thanks in advance
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
kiwi
Over 2k

Re: Rear door lock/latch

Post by kiwi »

Rob_e (UK) wrote:Has anyone else had this problem? Can you get to the lock internals with the door trim off? or is the lock a sealed unit?

Thanks in advance
Rob
Yes many years ago! Yes you can! Easier to replace with another unit.

Panel Beaters fix them all the time in many cars.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Hi kiwi
Did you manage to fix your, if so what was wrong with it? or did you just replace it then.

Is there a spring in them that stretches or breaks or something?

If I operate the lock on mine with teh door open, I can see that it seems to spring back a little if only latched on the first notch, i.e. if the door had not been closed completely; but if moved all the way round as if fully closed gets release by the handle but doesn't actualyl move back to the open position on it's own.

Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Hi Rob

when I said a few years ago I was probably talking over 6 years at least :lol: Only reason can be so sure it was over 6 years is because of the time in NZ and only having a BX again the last 3.

From memory I just got a replacement from the many parts that I stored up over the years. Sorry no help really other than that. It "should"(note inverted commas) be an easy job to replace.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Okay, I took the lock out yesterday to have a look at it, I couldn't find any thing specific that was broken; it just doesn't seem to move freely enough inspite of large amounts of lubrication; I guess the spring has just got too weak with age or the bush or whatever that part turns on has worn too much.
Has anyone got a spare they wouldn't mind parting with? It is the right hand side I need, looking at it I assume they are specific to which side of the car they fit.
kiwi wrote:It "should"(note inverted commas) be an easy job to replace.
It was relatively easy to get out, there was one annoying moment when I moved the lock button linkage the wrong way after disconnecting it from the lock only to have it disappear through the hole in the top of the door.

Have had to put it all back together again at the moment though until I can get a replacement as I use the car every day.

Thanks
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k