Another leak question

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Another leak question

Post by TB2 »

Yesterday I noticed a thin film of LHM under the rear right side of the car, just by the wheel. It's very little but it's there. I didn't have the time to inspect it closer yet, and it's like this that I drove to France and back without problems, so I guess it's not serious just yet.

But in case I break down, or in case I find the time to fix it, what could it be and what should I take a proper look at?

Thanks!
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I am going to take a punt at the T-Piece for the clear return pipes that sits above the subframe at that point.

Should describe it for you really its one of the clear pipes that comes from the octopus down the sill of the car to the rear which then splits (hence T-Piece) to serve as a return pipe one to the right the other to the left suspension.

Is there any damage to the rubber boot to the suspension arm? If not then that T-Piece is your problem.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Kiwi's point is a good one - I've encountered the same problem too. IF it's that, be aware that the tee-piece is NOT the same internal diameter as the one under the bonnet at the top of the LHM tank. You 'll probably have to drop the rear subframe on that side a little for access to investigate, if the leak is coming from there.

However, I'd first take a good look before jumping to any conclusions, particularly looking around the suspension cylinder, its boot, and the leakback/vent pipes coming from it. Better to nip any problems in that general area in the bud before they get nasty.

If there are no leaks there and the lhm's coming from further up and dripping down the subframe, suspect the tee-piece, but of course it's worth giving the caliper area a good look-over too. You'll probably be jacking-up the rear and taking that wheel off for access anyway, so all these points should be checkable.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

If it is the t-piece then to replace you dont need to drop the subframe.

Well in my case I did not anyways, the hand slide worked wonders finding the fault and basically the fragile t-piece that was at the end of its life. I cant remebr exactly what I did because there was enough freeplay to get to the join if memory serves I snipped a couple of cable ties to make easy access.

What I used as a temporary replacement which has held for nearly 6 months since the last WOF/MOT was a old clumsy joint from what was part of a t-joint of hydraulic pipe to the LHM reservoir.

Well at the time it was the best thing I could find in my parts :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91