Snapped camshaft.

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

No that would never do. He needs to borrow a flatbed trailer to bring it back. Trust me, it's in his interest as well as mine :wink:

Mark.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

mnde (Mark) is it you after a GS/A air filter housing on the G forum, as i have now dug one outfrom the back of my shed,

i did try pm ing you with ne reply

or are you sorted

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

That's funny, I have no PMs on the G forum Malcolm...

How much you want for it? Are you going to Stratford or another CCC rally?

Mark.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

mnde wrote:That's funny, I have no PMs on the G forum Malcolm...

How much you want for it? Are you going to Stratford or another CCC rally?

Mark.
pm sent via this forum now

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:obvious question, but i can't see it having been answered. Where is the car?
In the first post of the thread, I wrote: the car has done this when he's some 160 miles away from home
Vanny wrote:Surely you could nip up there with a 10mm spanner and 10mm socket, and 2x 10mm drill bits, a shaft and two belts and fix it there and then. For a quick and easy job, it sounds like a doddle!
There's also the removing of the intercooler, moving the timing belt pulley over, fitting bearing caps properly, fitting oil seals, re-fitting the drivebelt, etc etc. Not quite as quick and easy to do as it first sounds, and I'd rather do something like that at home with all my tools available rather than hoping I remember to take everything with me that I need.
this might be a signature
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

then on top of all that there is the re/shimming

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Well, I've recovered the car back to a safe location, and I'm very glad that's happened.

As per normal, the motor industry are complete and utter shysters. The place the car had been recovered to had drained the fuel tank while the car was parked there. It took a lot of arguing, and my parking the van/trailer completely and utterly in the way of their business and refusing to move it until they pay up before they did anything.

Utter utter shitheads the lot of them. The motor industry in general can go forth and multiply.

Today will see if I can shove a camshaft in it and make it run again. There's a bit of a question as to whether the timing belt has been damaged, but I suspect it will be fine.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Pfft... "Just shove a camshaft in it and it'll run"

Very funny.

What has actually happened is that the auxiliary belt on the crankshaft has shredded, got wrapped up in the timing belt, made the timing belt skip some teeth, and hence allowed the pistons to hit the valves. The weakest link when this happens on an XUD is the camshaft, which when I removed the cam cover was in four pieces.

... and even with all the valves closed, there's almost no compression on any cylinder. Not good.

So.. The question is now do I sling an engine in it, just do a head change, or break the car for spares? It's a very nice TZD Turbo in Triton green, with A/C and various other niceties, but can I really be bothered?
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If its got working a/c, i'd say its worth the effort, if not perhaps another member might take up the challenge?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bugger.

I did wonder whether there had been some valve to piston coming together, but hoped for your sake there wasn't. If I was in your position I'd be temped to change the head if you have/know of another one. That's what I'd want to do...but in reality, knowing me it would just sit around and so nothing for about a year.
In the cold light of day, you're unlikely to get more than £500 for it I would imagine, but it would be a crying shame for a decent car to get broken up...

Maybe if you can find a buyer that will take it once sorted, that way at least you're not risking your time for nothing.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If you have space to put it to one side, I might just have a high miles but healthy XUD9TE becoming available just shortly...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Space is one of the issues at the moment. I've filled all of it and am at bursting point. I really do own far too much hardware. I've got a 1.9TD that would go in it, but that of course then makes the car modified, and more difficult/expensive to insure. What would of course work is to fit a head from a 1.9TD engine on to the existing block, meaning it's still a 1769cc TD engine and hence unmodified.

... which means I need a head gasket, Timing belt, top end gasket kit and to fix the reason the aux belt shredded in the first place.... If I can be bothered.

If I were to break it it's got a brand-new radiator in it, 16v speedlines with brand-new tyres, good ABS TD/16v shafts, decent Le-Mans interior (with centre cubby box), 16v dashboard, good ABS arms/hubs, sunroof deflector and various other niceties, and it would still be worth £50 for weigh-in with all those bits sold.

hmm.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Well David.....if it was me, and the body & interior / ancillaries as good as you say, I think I would probably stick a replacement head on it, with all the new gasketry involved, and see how it was then....before making a final decision.
The most worrying part to me is the original cause of the aux belt shredding :? If it was just a case of tired old rubber giving up the ghost, then all may well be OK with a top-end rebuild.

Assuming that you already have enough parts in your possession to do the head swap, that is probably the simplest and shortest route to go.
You could then rework the original head / valves / cam etc at your leisure, or dump it all in the skip!

If you decide to break it, you would still have the lack of space problem for quite a while, as you took her to bits. Doing a full-on "lump swap" would be quite a simple task, but (as you already know!) these things can bring to light other problems, or damaged pipework etc during the swap. Plus the insurance problems with fitting a modified engine.

With your abilities, I am sure you will have it back up & running in pretty short order, and it sounds like it would make a darn good BX for someone, should you decide to move it on. Triton Green BXs tend to sell well, and if the rest is decent, it will be no problem finding a new owner.

What's the current Tax / MOT situation on it?

Regards,

P.S. If you break it, could I please have "first dibs" on that sunroof deflector? :wink: Monica needs one to tart her up a little for summer!
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

mountainmanUK wrote:Plus the insurance problems with fitting a modified engine.
Surely externally the 19TD and the 17TD are identical (obviously save the cam driven pump) The engine ID plate is riveted in place... You see what im getting at here?

How many insurers are in the habit of stripping engines and measuring bore diameters?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

mountainmanUK wrote:The most worrying part to me is the original cause of the aux belt shredding :?
Well... having had a properly good look at the alternator/aircon pulley arrangement, it would appear that the reason the belt shredded is because one of the pulleys is quite seriously mis-aligned, which means the belt has been fretting quite badly.

What's rather annoying though is that the mis-aligned pulley is one that has been bodged into place when the aircon was retro-fitted. The belt arrangement that has been fitted is a bit of a load of bollocks TBH. Quite why the factory A/C belt setup wasn't used I'm not entirely sure, as it's identical to a 405 with PAS but no A/C (on that spec of 405, the PAS pump is where the A/C pump would be) and those parts litter breakers yards the country wide.

Bah.
Father Ted wrote:Surely externally the 19TD and the 17TD are identical
I believe there is a subtle difference in the block casting, although I don't know exactly what that is. I know Jon has mentioned it before.

Also... I'm not going to discuss the possibilities of insurance fraud on an open forum.