Headgasket Failure?

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Headgasket Failure?

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Evening all,

Just got back from a weekend in Berkshire and the Talbot is leaking coolant. I've looked and looked and it seems the coolant is coming from between the block and cylinder head although i can only see residue and haven't actually seem any drips yet although i've got a steady line of pink coolant down the bellhousing.

I've never seen coolant leaking this way before, has anybody else?
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Yes.

From the same engine, but on the other side. Coolant leaking from the block-head interface and down the front of the engine.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Is it a big job on these?
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Not really. I have photos from when I did it, but it would probably be more appropriate to put them up on CXclub rather than here.

Much easier than the equivalent XUD, as it's a pushrod engine with screwdriver adjusted valve clearances and hex-head Cylinder-head bolts. I did mine in an easy weekend.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'd really appreciate the photos. Shall I await a post of CXclub? Cheers, Ian
Over and out from me
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It's a nice straightforward engine to do a head gasket on, but the head is heavy, particularly if you leave the water pump on (and bear in mind should you decided to remove it that the lowest stud is likely to be heavily corroded and may shear off).

Some years ago Stan Platts who is something of an authority on CX's told me that in his opinion many of the aftermarket head gaskets for the CX (and so C25) turbo diesel were somewhat inadequate, and recommended the Payen Curty gasket as the one to go for, which apparently boasts 'viton eyelid' which I guess is a viton element to the gasket which gives added durability and is omitted on the cheaper gaskets.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski