TZS auto rattling

BX Tech talk
lee1983

TZS auto rattling

Post by lee1983 »

Hi all and thanks so much for the help on my last post (no more battery problems yay). my car is a 19tzs auto estate with 101,570 miles on the clock and its gotta be the best car i've owned to date so will be keeping her on the road and not replacing her for a good few years to come i should imagine, the problem im having at the moment is a rattling when driving up hills and also when accelerating which can get quite loud depending on how steep the hill is or how far my foot is planted , if anyone could offer some suggestions would be grateful.

thanks in advance
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs here but the 'rattling' if its related to load, ie. going uphill and accelerating, sounds like it could be 'pinking' or pre-detonation which can happen when running either with the timing out or the wrong grade of fuel.
Assuming that prior to this development you haven't had any work done on the engine/car, then it could be the fuel. I don't know what grade of fuel you're using but it might well be worth letting what you've got in there at the moment run down and then replace with a gallon or two of the good stuff to see if this helps it, or try some of that octane enhancer stuff....but tbh I don't know if thats just snake oil :lol:
I'd get the timing checked anyway as a precaution.
If its a really bad rattling (deep banging) then its much worse ie. big ends but somehow I don't think you'd be describing that as rattling.
I'm sure that there will be someone better able to diagnose your problem than me along in a minute or two.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper