No PAS

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

No PAS

Post by Kitch »

I've now lost all traces of any assistance from the hydraulics to aid the steering! It slowly went at an equal rate turning either way.

If I put it on high for a bit, then go up and down a couple of times one full lock, it tries to come back, but doesn't.

The pump seems good, rises quickly, stop light goes out quickly etc and its running a Xantia accm sphere. It hardly ticks at all. Flow valve was changed on rebuild because this problem arose before. But if its that then that means that I had two duff ones in succession....chances?

Any ideas? Or any parts to test in general for common signs?

Thanks
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Entirely likely, I'm afraid but the pinion valve might be clogged up, preventing it from working.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you havent blown up the ram have you, seems a regular thing on these red 16v's :D

I have been advised that if its still turning to just keep turning it from lock to lock and it should bleed its self, though if you had it to begin with then i suspect there must be a fault!

I'm off to get rack of andy tomorrow! It's okay theres two ;)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I seem to blow gearboxes and engines, a ram would be an achievement for sure!

I thought pinion valve, but the loss is equal either way you turn the wheel. Normally if it were pinion valve it would start dying to one side more than the other I would have thought?

AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Check the adjustment on the belt to the pump...........yeah, I know, you just adjusted it when you put the engine back so it couldn't possibly be slipping and it doesn't make any slipping type noises.........just adjust it before you start ripping stuff out you wish you hadn't.
It has to be tight and I do mean TITE!! Like a fish's a*$e. Any amount of slip, no matter how small will cause this problem; been there done that!! :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Thanks Alan. I think its pretty tight but I will check again.

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Interesting. The general problems with defective FDV's seem to be that the steering workes perfectly and the rest doesn't! - Certainly that was my experience.

Steering needs a good pump. Yours sounds OK.

I think the steering is normally regarded as self bleeding simply filling both sides of the rack by moving it from side to side - once!

I suppose your pump isn't drawing air in? Does the LHM look like a mint alcopop when the engine is running? If air is getting in its probably the reservoir/pump hose or its ends. Anders suggests you replace it with a section of clean garden hose for diagnostic purposes.

Finally and really clutching at straws here - you have got all the pipes in the right places haven't you? Another unlikely possibility is a falttened pipe or a misplaced seal.

jeremy
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

With the belt, one of the traps with that is if the belt bottoms in the pulley; it will slip fairly badly but not make a noise.
Irecently went to buy a belt for one of my BXs at a local parts shop. (Remember, where Daffid might be the only Gay in the villiage, I'm almost the only Cit owner in ours) so whenever I go for parts it's an ongoing saga.
He produces a belt..........an "m" section. Had I used it, it's so shallow I would have been out of hydraulic pressure before I had reached the end of my driveway, and that's about how quick it can all go pear shaped.
Jeremy's suggestion regarding air leakage is a good valid one also.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.