Faint "glow" on Stop & Water Lamps.

BX Tech talk
mountainmanUK

Faint "glow" on Stop & Water Lamps.

Post by mountainmanUK »

Driving home from work last night, I noticed a very faint glow of the "Stop" and "Radiator" warning lights.

I have a temperature gauge fitted, which works fine and shows a normal running temperature of 75-80, whilst driving (after it's all warmed up obviously!). Water levels appear normal, and she's running VERY well at the moment.

I've checked the two connections to the sensor (by the thermostat), and nothing looks amiss there.

I can't think of what to check now....apart from the back of the intrument panel connections, and I don't really fancy dragging all that out right now!!

Any thoughts guys? As I say, the "glow" is VERY faint, but is definitely there, so something isn't quite right!

Cheers!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I will hazzard a guess since you have a temp gauge that it "could" be the result of afterglow from the dial that controls the brilliance of the dash being up bright?

Also assuming you noticed this at Night?

Try turning the brightness down if the glow does not dimish then theres a fault somewhere.

Worth a try before ripping things apart.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

warning lamps

Post by bill o »

i had a similar problem last year ,i finally tracked it down to one of the multi plugs just below the battery tray.i pulled it apart cleaned it and sprayed it with wd40 and have had no problems since .
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If it were a non-aspirated Diesel, I'd venture a guess that the level warning sensor in the rad is crudded up. If I remember rightly yours is a TD though, and I can't remember if the sensor's the same. If it is, and a block clean doesn't do anything, it's a bit more of a fiddle to get in there at the base of the expansion tank.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

When you say "radiator light" do you mean low coolant level, or overheat light?

I would suspect a dodgy earth TBH.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote:If it were a non-aspirated Diesel
Cor....a BX you could use for travelling on the moon! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

When you say "radiator light" do you mean low coolant level, or overheat light?
@Doc,
It's the low coolant level light...which also triggers the "Stop" light.
I think you're correct with the earth idea, or some dodgy wiring.
I will hazzard a guess since you have a temp gauge that it "could" be the result of afterglow from the dial that controls the brilliance of the dash being up bright?
@Kiwi,
No, it's also visible without the lights on. I just noticed it as I was driving home in a dull twilight!. Checked the Panel dimmer anyway...no probs.
level warning sensor in the rad is crudded up
@DLM,
Could well be a crudded rad sensor. I'll try giving it a clean! (Yes, it is a TD)
i finally tracked it down to one of the multi plugs just below the battery tray
@Bill O,
Definitely a possibility! I was messing around under there a while ago, when fitting a new clutch cable!

Thanks for all the suggestions. My thoughts are definitely headed down the "bad earth" or "loose connection" kind of route.
I'm pretty certain that it isn't actually any threat of imminent doom, as in HG failure etc.
Just need the time to track it down now!

Cheers chaps! :D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Check the regulator box, by the side of the rad half way down by the O/S headlight.
The multiplug is renowned for getting crusty given it's location and can cause those exact symptoms..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

This is the result of a failing ignition switch. I've seen it before (and so have you DLM). Tampering with earths and feed blocks always helps to make the problem look as though you've fixed it (because you reduce resistance and partially mask the true problem) but many months of careful research left only one correct answer.