Hot alternator

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Hot alternator

Post by toddao »

I tried out a used Alternator that I inherited today and the thing started emitting smoke, though it seemed to be charging too. Also it got very hot. I removed it and discarded it, heaven knows what the smoke was - it's been sat in a garage for years.

So I put the original alternator back which as been working well for six months and I noticed for the first time how hot it got after five minutes running. I know that alternators do run hot but how hot is normal? I've never considered this. The battery also was run down so maybe this was contributing?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I don't know how hot becomes an alternator normally but the smoke came probably from the belt when the alternator is jamming.

I had once an alternator making a metallic noise. A few days later, white smoke came from the alternator belt.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Standard Valeo alternator not too difficult to take cover off if you want to check for scorched innards. Does the bearing revolve freely, though?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

if its been standing a while it would be the friction of it trying to unseize itslef and probably the friction on the fan belt itself.
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I charged the battery up overnight ( it's a lovely scavenged BMW battery that has a little window which changes colour : green, charged. Black, under charged. White,F'ed). And the alternator didn't run so hot ( only hottish). The smoking one is in the pile of cactus alternators awaiting the visit of Roland Kaiser the scrap dude..

Like that old song : No Charge. :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read