Wiring woes

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Wiring woes

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi Folks

I have BX which has had a tailgate change. I'm now trying to wire everything up and am suffering from the usual nightmares of matching everything up - not helped as it wasn't me who changes the tailgate.

I've completed the number plate lights and heated rear window successfully (left hand as you face the rear of the car) but the bundle the other side is proving to be a pain.

I've found one of the feeds in the tailgate to the rear wiper motor, two lives in the car loom and the feed for the central locking. I think I've connected the bit up that checks whether the boot is open as that works fine. I have connected brown to brown.

That leaves me with two green wires each side (one of which is live in the car loom) and three greys each side (again, one is a permanent live).

HELP!

Also, advice on where to stuff the wires would be good as they seem very vulnerable just sitting in that drain channel above the hatch opening.

Lesson 245, only buy a car where the wiring is ok! Still got rear fog lights, rear electric windows to sort out yet!

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Ian welcome to the Sunday afternoon fix it.

The wires should be in a rubber gaiter or boot between tailgate and bodywork.

As for your other wires I'll have to check on that. Someone else maybe able to help before I get to it. But keep watching.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi Ken

Problem is, I've got an excess of wiring hence it doesn't really fit.

Have given up for today. HRW will be a big bonus so I'm getting there!

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Has anyone got an "open" tailgate for Ian they could photograph and post so he can see where the wires should be.

That'd save me struggleing thought the mountains of wiring diagrams in the big pink book. :cry:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, I guess what I really need (as I have no wiring diagram) is just an explanation of how many wires connect to each item in the tailgate. My pure guess is that there are three wires for the wiper motor and perhaps two for the central locking.

Must have got something wrong as I noted last night that the boot was locking when I turned the ignition on. A useful security feature but not quite what is meant to happen! That bunch now pulled apart again awaiting another chance to look at it!

Ian
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Taking it you have a 16V hatchback from your `signature`, are these the same wiring wise as all other models? I have an estate and could check the wiring on that if that would help?

EDIT: Where about are you, if you`re close enough to here could run out one day in my BX so you can examine the wiring on mine if needed?
Vauxhall apologist.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks but I'm guessing you are Oop North? I'm in the South Midlands.

I know Fearny wants to drool over my 16v so I'll just invite him down once I've got a protective layer of wax on the car! :P

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You are correct about the wires.

Two go to the locking solenoid, could be thin green or grey, cant remember.

The other three go to the wiper motor, I though they had different terminals on so you cant get them wrong, however I could be wrong about that. (old age)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Ken. I'm better at this lark than I thought!

Problem is, the loom was cut when the tailgate was replaced so now I've got the job of trying to connect it all back up. I've got three grey wires. Two green. One brown. One black and chunky on the car loom. I'm trying to match these up to three grey, one blue, two greens and a brown.

Nowt I can do 'til the weekend. I'm meant to be working from home today though...

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Looked at several diagrams and not much seems to correspond with what you've got there.

I might help if you let me know which model and year for both your car and what the tailgate come off.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Car is a 1989 16 valve. Tailgate - not sure but Phase 2 ie flatter rear spoiler. Sorry, that doesn't help much!

Ian
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

guess your gonna have to do it the old fashioned method! Get the DMM out, its about to become your best buddy! Find an earth point for the negative lead, then connect to a wire at the car side. You'll then have to activate in turn the central locking and the rear wiper, your looking for the DMM to register a voltage, label the wire with anything you find. Do this to each wire in turn!

The easiest bit is then identifying which wire goes where in the tailgate! With the black shroud completely removed you will be able to see the wires to the wiper motor and the lock which should narrow things down a little! Set the DMM to resistance and connect the ground to one of the wires on the lock, then connect the DMM to each of the cut off wires, your looking for a short circuit (0ohm resistance) to identify the wire.

Just iterate this process to identify where each wire goes!

You should be left knowing where a good number of the wires go and probably one or two that dont make sence. Remeber the two ground wires at the car side wont do anything spectacular, you can check them by measuring the resistnce between the body work and the wire, again it should be a short!

Its not too many wires, and shouldnt cause too much head ache! Its probably worth soldering the connectins and getting heat shink sheath over each individual wire when you come to connect!
Tim2cv
BXpert

Post by Tim2cv »

I have no pictures of my other boot lid as I left the wires attached to the car when i removed the boot lid like your supposed to! Found this though which gives you an idea of the heated window wires, lock, plate lamps and wiper.

Good luck!

TIM :wink:
2CV6 1986 Dolly

MEHARI 1976

DYANE 6 1981 - GF'S CAR!

www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum

www.myspace.com/tim2cv
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Tim and Vanny

Definitely a two person job then! Did have a go yesterday but it was really difficult and ended up back where I started albeit the HRW now works. Luckily the rear wiper isn't as important as it is on estates due to the design. Need the boot to lock though!

That said, I did find the manual operation for that yesterday.

Ian
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

have sent you a PM on your current lock problem!