Major LHM leak

BX Tech talk
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

Well, I managed to get the pipe replaced at the weekend. I thought it was a pretty akward job to do, I can see why you say you always drop the rear sub frame Citronut. Although starting with the car so low I am not sure quite how I would have gone about it.

I guess if I had lowered the rear subframe I may have got more benefit from the Citroen pipe being pre shaped; as it was it was so difficult getting it round the top of the sub frame I doubt there were any of the original bends left by the time I finished.

My worst fear at the moment is that given there is signs of corrosion on some of the other pipes as well that I may have another leak anytime soon; I am NOT looking forward to changing the others.

Still there are less clips to undo now as only about three of the damn things came off in one piece.

Having just read Aerodynamicas post, I guess I should consider my slef lucky to have gotten away with getting the car back on the road having just replaced the one really.

As for the Air jack; it did the job in terms of lifting the front end, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it was a last resort. I had the back end up on ramps having used some bits of fence post to help the rear bumper clear them; so I needed to get the front off the ground. I was going to put the air jack under the front sub frame but decided against it as I thought it may foul a hydraulic line that comes under the engine and joins on to somewhere (possibly the security valve). Anyway I though given the thing should spread the load a bit that it should be okay under the sills. But it doesn't seem to have done them much good :(
The right hand one was already a bit damaged previously from using an axel stand under it when the raod had a bit too much camber on it, now it is even worse. Not sure if there is much I can do about it though.

Here is the left one.

and here is the worst, the right one

Thanks for all the help
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

that damage looks like someone in the past has stuck a trolley jack under there,

at least if that damage is at the front end/s it wont be a MOT faliure in the future,

do you not know someone that can weld (properly)

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Indeed. That doesn't look like new damage.

What you need to do is get a big pair of grips and bend the seam of the sill out straight again, and generally bash it about until it's the correct shape (ish) Thereafter, fill the sill with waxoyl and paint the outside of it. Whenever I'm painting bits of vehicle I always use a zinc-rich primer (adds a bit of cold-galvanise effect) and then some bitumen top-coat. Seems to resist corrosion for a very long time.

That sort of damage on the sills of my van is what meant I had to spend what felt like forever fabricating new bits of sill and welding like I've not welded for a long time!
this might be a signature
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

citronut wrote:do you not know someone that can weld (properly)
I have got a Mig welder, and have tried my hand at it; in fact I did do an evening class. But I am no expert, especially on the thin stuff most of the BX seems to be made of, although I guess the sills are (hopefully) amongst some fo the thicker bits on the car.
The inner wing seems to hav lasted okay, where I put a patch on it; but the sill is a bit more structural.
I think one of my brothers mates does do welding for a living though.

DavidRutherford wrote:That doesn't look like new damage.
The right hand side wasn't that bad before. But it did start a few years ago now. I was trying to replace the spill off pipe on one of the front struts while at University, Which is quite a few years ago now :lol:, and I only put the axle stand under that side while I did it. Because the road had a bit a bit too much camber on it the bottom edge of the sill started to bend a bit back then.
I do now tend to use a zinc-rich primer when ever I paint any part of the car now before the standard primer and top coat.

This is another reason why I would be a bit concerned about lowering the rear sub frame. Is any of hte car other than the sub framses string enough to hold the weight of the car up? I guess teh back end is quite a bit lighter than the front.

When I was using the air jack; in spite of it being right at the front of the sill, it was still lifting the whole side of the car as the front was so much heavier than the back.

Cheers,
Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DavidRutherford wrote:zinc-rich primer
Have you tried something like Galvafroid, or Zinga? I've used the former, and although bloody expensive (and heavy!) it works better than the usual zinc rich primers I have used, in that it will actually protect surrounding metal to a surprising extent if scratched or chipped.

THis thread could seriously digress, a bit like asking someone what their favourite oil or tyre is...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Rob
you should practice your weldding scills on a dersh if you think BX tin is thin,

one trick when trying to weld these sort of area's is cut/clean it back so you are not trying to weld onto a surface of metal which is one of two skins with rust between them, as you are more likely to just keep blowing it away

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)