paint advice

BX Tech talk
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

paint advice

Post by nige! »

Some scrote has decided to key my bx, not only the obligatry long line but tagging as well, was done in a school car park - where wife works. The headmaster has been good about it and willing to look into paying damages, my insurance company have had a look and reckon £850 worth of damage, car only worth £300 they reckon so they reckon they will pay me £250 cash, with a £120excess that leaves me £130 to fix the car meself.

Its an orignal citroen metallic greenysliver colour, chap i bought the car off has given me some base paint, feels like about 1 litre left. I have only sprayed 2pack before - so could do with some advice. From what i understand I will need to spray the base coat and then when dry apply a lacquer coat. If I apply the laquer will i need to spray the whole panel or can i get away with just the repair area?

cheers
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

So scroats have got as far north as Inverness ? Must be the climate change, eh ?

OK I'm not a paint expert, but since nobody else has replied...

I can tell you this from experience : you have to do the whole panel if you want a decent result. There is just no way to blend in laquered paint.

With 1 litre of paint, you have enough to do about half the car, so don't worry.

PS I was more of an Ujpest Dozsa man myself :oops:
350ci muppet
Confirmed BX'er

Post by 350ci muppet »

what you want to do is rub back the affected areas with a fairly fine grit personally i would use 600 wet and dry do this until the area is smooth no ripples or high/low spots then spray your base coat on in a slightly smaller area than your rub down then spray your laquer on and once its had a while to dry i would allow a few days to harden on you will need to mop it back with a decent cutting compound iwould use g3 make sure the panels stay nice and wet

sounds easy but does take some skill but if you sprayed before you will probably be ok
jus remember the hardener in the pain and laquer