Speaker Location

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Speaker Location

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Next week see's my BX take a big trip down to southern Spain loaded to the brim with camping gear.

I've got a decent head unit and have fitted some JL audio co-ax's in the front doors but its still not amazing.

I dont want to cut into the parcel shelf. Can the rear doors accept speakers? Anybody got any experience?
Over and out from me
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I don't think the BX ever had speakers in the rear doors, the 6 speaker system (TZD and probably some other models) had speakers in the dashboard (odd), front doors, and above the rear seats, at the top of the C pillar.

I'm sure there's a way of doing it DIY, perhaps some other members will have experience with this?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Can't you fit them in the C-pillars? I know some BXs already had the space for them and some didn't. I can't imagine you would have the depth in the rear doors unless you had a protruding cabinet like on the front.

One bonus in the Mk.1s was the bass 'boom box' unit mounted under the dash which really gives a good bottom end and makes a big difference to the range even with moderately good player.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Its a TZD i'm refering to.

Dash speakers: dont seem to do much at all
Front door: now replaced they're good mid and hi range but no bass
C pillar speakers: completely useless, just vibrate and make an awful noise.
Over and out from me
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I would change the C-pillar speakers too. They'll never be good stand alone units as they're too small ( unless you're gonna spend €€€s) but the ones that I fitted improve the spatial aspect of the music in the car. Then perhaps a sub/ bass unit under the seat or in the boot where It can be hidden away.
I'm not a stereo expert but everyone who rides in the car comments on the sound and I'm still running cassettes off an old Grundig player! There was one of those Mk.1 bass units in a scrapper GT in France last month that I was recommending to TB2 for his BX.
Todd

Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

What sort of speakers did you fit in the C pillars? I've never actually seen what type of speaker they are.
Over and out from me
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I don't know what they are Ian. I simply measured the size of the recess then went along to one of those car audio shops where you can switch between different speakers to hear the various tones and bought the best ones that fitted the mounting - €40? As I said, they don't sound good alone at volume but with the bottom end in there..
Todd

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

How come you dont want to put any speakers in the rear parcel shelf? Thats the only place where you can fit some decent 6x9's to get that decent bass & overall sound quality.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Dash speakers: dont seem to do much at all
Front door: now replaced they're good mid and hi range but no bass
Dash: Piezo tweeters probably on a late TZD. Earlier domes sounded better to me. May be somewhat upstaged if you've upped the power and the high - end frequency response of the door speakers. There's no crossover as such , just a high-pass filter in the tweeter units themselves. Were the door units you've chosen designed to be used in conjunction with bass box(es)?
C pillar speakers: completely useless, just vibrate and make an awful noise
The rubber speaker cone mounts perish on these - hence the farting noise. They are very compact units (2" or so) on a saloon so you can't expect much in the way of low-end frequency response. The space available for alternative fitment is not large, and the original mounts take up nearly all of that space.

Hatch cover speakers: the third BX I owned had some DIY-fitted (flush-mounted 6" units). A space-stealing pain in the arse for load-carrying, even with covers inside and detachable feeds, though they beefed-up the low frequencies considerably. Ideally, they need independent volume control at the head end.

In my opinion, BXs weren't really designed with the ICE of today in mind - options are limited and it requires major surgery if that's what you really want.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Cal me wierd but I always thought the space above the glove box - a void really - could take a bassy speaker to help with what's going on at the front :lol:

Yes, actually I am wierd. Sorry.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive got some 6x9s in the parcel shelf of the 16v which do sound great, Ian spare parcel shelfs arent exactly expensive or rare so I wouldnt worry. Unless somewone has one with holes in already?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Ian, i wouldn't bother putting anything in the C-Pillars, the C-pillar plastics are hard, brittle and very loosely attached, they will just rattle if you put any power through the speaker which will be more annoying than not having them.

I have seen retro fit speakers in the back of a BX, some chopping up of a front door plastics where undertaken from what i remember, but you could always glass up a housing to take a speaker??

Speakers in the rear shelf are the way to go though. If you dont want them to show you could put them under the 'carpet' of the shelf so they dont show. But i suspect you don't want to loose boot space?

Phil, do you not like air flow to the end of dash outlet? Cos thats what takes u much of the space above the glove box. If you get a pic of a LHD 16v you can see the aux glove box is very shallow and pretty useless. I guess you might squeeze a speaker in, but it would surely stick out of the dash??
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Told you I was weird. :?

There is some 'empty' space in there, but yes, you're right of course. It would stick out. And look bloody stoopid too. Just ignore me, I might go away :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip Chidlow wrote:
There is some 'empty' space in there, but yes, you're right of course. It would stick out. And look bloody stoopid too.
More than that, it's the wrong place anyway as you don't want the bass in your face drowning out the main info from the mid/high units. Bass is not particularly directional to the ear so can comfortably (or uncomfortably) live in the boot if you really need more. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Fearny! Remember the parcel shelf in the GTi I took to Interlaken? Yours if you want it but prob ain't got time to get it to you! :lol:

Always find 6x9's in the parcel shelf a pain in the arse cos I actually use the boot alot and they take up a fair bit of space! Always worried about damaging them or stuff in the boot - especially when camping stuff's in there. Imagine ripping through the tent.....