Rear Wing Stone Guards

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Rear Wing Stone Guards

Post by Tim Leech »

You know what I mean, the plastic things that fits at the front edge of the rear arch to stop the stone chipping, how do these come off as I want to paint mine on the TRS when I get the bonnet done as mine are faded and worn.

Thanks!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

You'll be lucky. They are bonded on with the strongest adhesive known to man! I guarantee you'll destroy them trying to remove them.
this might be a signature
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Bugger, does anyone have a spare pair removed from a car?

Thanks.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Why remove them unless absolutely required? They all get stone-chipped at the leading edge. A a bit of judicious masking would allow just that area to be covered with the part in situ, though I guess that's more of a DIYing task than something to pay for.

IF absolutely necessary for structural work and the like, they are potentially removable with considerable care, but it's not a casual undertaking. I've managed it on 3 separate occasions now, but it's still very much a question of luck as to how well they're fastened. I've only removed from scrappers and have never been tempted to try it on one of my runners. I have one pair reserved for my own car in case of damage, swapped a pair with the doc for his "phoenix" rebuild, and just have a scabby grey pair left (cracked during storage, but kept for reference).

Looking at the one I have in front of me , the main adhesive on the plastic itself is black, but I think there's another layer of whiteish adhesive under that on the wheel arch. The crucial point for finding out whether you'll get anywhere is the top horizontal edge and the top trailing 45deg-angle section: these are only mildly "lipped", unlike the other edges.

At-your-own-risk advice: something like a long pallette knife or flat-bladed paint stripper blade can be very carefully inserted where I've indicated and very gentle but sustained outward pressure applied to see if there's any movement. Hot water first will probably help - the usual first step with plastic BX bodykit and badges.

If there's movement, you're in with a chance, and can continue with extremely gentle levering. If there isn't any hint of movement, don't bother: you'll break it.

As for refixing, your guess is as good as mine...
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Easy peasy to paint in situ.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

very hard to get off!
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Easy peasy to paint in situ.
Not when the bonnet is being done off the car on the "cheap" by my mate in his spare time so having the car there isnt practical. So if anyone DOES have any spare ones please speak up!
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I did manage to get one off on mine, to try and fix the rust underneath. I just leaved and pulled it off, It was quite well stuck on; but it sounds like I was lucky and mine came off in one piece.

I have not put it back on yet so don't know what I am going to use. The original stuff, I though looked a bit like those sort of double sided adhesive foam pads; only with much stronger glue.

Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

One of them on my RD estate actually fell off! Think it's in the boot of the TGD.....
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The original stuff, I though looked a bit like those sort of double sided adhesive foam pads; only with much stronger glue.
That's the white adhesive I referred to above. The black "adhesive" (a sort of rubberised substance) is attached to the inside of the plastic stone-guard in a widely-spread layer (2-3mm thick) about 1cm in from the outer non-lipped edges but closer to the lipped edges : thick enough to allow contact with the pads that are fitted direct to the bodywork.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I have one brand new one of these, think it's near side, free of charge to you Tim. See my post of other BX stuff to clear.
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Think mine's off side so that would make a pair! It's pre '90 Model Year so is textured rather than smooth and painted!

Also free to you when I remember to look for it!