It's because I just booked the MOT....

BX Tech talk
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

as you have found the hard way if the pipes are in that bad a state, it is pointless just trying to replace the one which is leaking, as in the process you will disturbe the others, just make 110% sure the new pipes you have /are fitting are not touching them selfs or any other pipe or the car body/susspension trailling arm, otherwise you will be back under there in a few weeks time

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Look on the bright side, you've still got your 40 odd quid in your pocket and not got a fail notice. Smile
-I like your thinking! :D

Right, the front to rear return is in, routed, not touching anything other than the air down there and taken through the full cycles of pressure. I modified the part where the rigid return joins the rubber pipe to the LHM tank by shortening the rubber pipe and having a longer rigid pipe so that the join itself is near the LHM tank. It was then given a new band clip and tested after securing it.

ce n'est pas une pipe

All happy now and the OSR bleed nipple came undone with ease so the final stretch was successful.

Inspecting the bust pipes, they were each completely rust free from one end to the other apart from the single rust area (less than 1" long) at the turn at the wheel arch.. Seemed such a waste that there was so much good material left.

Anyway, the car is grubby now and is going for the test tomorrow at 08:30 instead.

lolz all round :lol:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Aerodynamica wrote:Seemed such a waste that there was so much good material left.
I know exactly how you feel.

Then I think of all the perfectly roadworthy cars that are scrapped every single day, and I don't worry about it.
this might be a signature
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Then I think of all the perfectly roadworthy cars that are scrapped every single day, and I don't worry about it.
-Me too, and the main Citroën dealer here has a late 90s Nissan with flat tyres out the front with a big sign on top saying "we paid £2000 for this"

It's why I have this sticker on my rear window:

E.L.V. not 'End of Life Vehicle' as the man would have you say but 'EXTENDED Life Vehicle' .. I have this on both the CX and BX.

Cars are engineered to last about 8-10 years from a materials perspective - a car that is used for less than this is a waste. As we know, they can last for over 30years.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Where did you get that sticker from? I like that a lot.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

The ELV stickers are available from a guy on Retro Rides, I think they're still available anyway - two types: window type such as this 'cling on' type or the actual sticker for the rear panel.

I have a spare of the sticker type if you're stuck.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Right so I take it for an MOT and ...... FAIL

Both front disks are excessively pitted and N/S headlight aim too high.

After getting the car there for 08:30am I was told there'd been an error and a car was booked for then - it would be done at 09:30 instead... Hmm. OK well I collect at half ten and off tho AEP to get a pair of disks £11 ea + vat and went back to fit them

Things going back together with new disk.
I love shiny new bits on old cars for some reason

I adjusted the NS light too and phoned to see if they'd take the retest the same day (was to be in the morning but tomorrow I'd have to leave it with them)

After some background consultation they said they'd take it immediately.

Back in, retested and I HAZ MOT!!

I was surprised when he said "that's £10" - I'd previously asked if there was a retest fee and told there was not - what was the £10 for? - "labour to adjust the headlight" - I told him I wish he'd said it would cost and that I'd adjusted it before returning but obviously still out.

Hmm.

But I haz MOT now!!
And looky looky! the V5c finally turned up!

Now I can finally sell the BX.

Trouble is, you guessed it. I don't want to...
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Aerodynamica wrote:I was surprised when he said "that's £10" - I'd previously asked if there was a retest fee and told there was not - what was the £10 for? - "labour to adjust the headlight" - I told him I wish he'd said it would cost and that I'd adjusted it before returning but obviously still out.
do WHAT? :shock:

a tenner to adjust a headlamp? FFS! My MOT man will adjust the headlamps, put some sealant on the exhaust, change bulbs, change wiper blades, and even allow me to do small repairs on the ramp there and then if needs be.

For free.

Strikes me you need to find a better MOT centre!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Aerodynamica wrote:I was surprised when he said "that's £10" - I'd previously asked if there was a retest fee and told there was not - what was the £10 for? - "labour to adjust the headlight" - I told him I wish he'd said it would cost and that I'd adjusted it before returning but obviously still out.
do WHAT? :shock:

a tenner to adjust a headlamp? FFS! My MOT man will adjust the headlamps, put some sealant on the exhaust, change bulbs, change wiper blades, and even allow me to do small repairs on the ramp there and then if needs be.

For free.

Did you charge him for the 1 hour stuff up in booking times :twisted:

Actually kind thing dont surprise me, I miss my old haunt of EuroService at Lee Mill Near Plymouth used to get that service David Reefers too. Where I am now despite other good relationship factors it depends on the mood I guess how much I get charge for a piddly job.

Like for example AA callout none start! Thought it was fixed got it to the driveway and it stalled on the road so coasted the 300metres to the workshops. Fiddled around couldnt get it started so in the workshop replaced the Dizzie Arm and1/2 labour charged. Same goes for the WOFS/MOTs one car failed on a damp spot of LHM by the accumulator the other passed.

Good to hear you percivered (sp?) and keep that BX on the Road though and well done on the photo log.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Congrats on the new MOT, Graeme! :D

Did I ever say........I LOVE that BX!!! Nicest "A" reg I've seen!
(No, I haven't got a spare £600 lying around....or I'd be on the first night bus to Glasgae! :wink: )
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

- it's what happens when you move.. new places. Worst part is that is is a Citroen Indie.

Anyway, they will remain nameless but I will not be returning.
Congrats on the new MOT, Graeme! Very Happy

Did I ever say........I LOVE that BX!!! Nicest "A" reg I've seen!
(No, I haven't got a spare £600 lying around....or I'd be on the first night bus to Glasgae! Wink )
Cheers sir! I really love this BX (despite the recent 3 hydr pipes saga) It's not the best A reg but it is good - has a few bad bits on the body work that mar an otherwise very sound low miles car.

My ideal one however, would be the same BX 16 TRS but in white, automatic with the better wearing tweed upholstery. Also with sunroof and ideally with renewed C-pillar windows.

Kiwi - I also have varied experience on road worthiness test costs: my previous regular MOT place actually charges £50 for the test (as opposed to £40) but they're better and there's no retest fee at all - oddly though they tend not to do things like headlamp adjustments..

I now wonder if I knw of an MOT place that actually IS any good.. I do prefer having a regular one.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

FAO David Rutherford.

I was wondering if you've not been getting my recent PMs to you? I'd sent quite a lot about the Digit.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I've not received any PMs from you recently.

Odd.

PM me on CXclub?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

That is odd. Ok, I'll send via CXclub
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Rob_e (UK)
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

I thought I was having a bad week end trying to replace my one front to rear pipe.
But it looks like you were having an even worse time of it. That certainly seems quite an achievement to have got all that done in a weekend.

I was surprised to hear that crushing a pipe was enough to create a stopper to blank off one of the ports. I actually was thinking along similar lines my self as the suspension to doser valve pipe could go on mine at any time; so in readyness for needing to get the suspension up again I created a stopper ready out of the old pipe by crushing it closed at the end in a vice and then welding it closed for good measure; haven't had to see if it works yet
Fingers crossed I won't have to.

Rob
BX19 GTi 8v 89 227k