TO BE OR NOT TO BE! (A DODGT HEADGASKET?)

BX Tech talk
tim leech

TO BE OR NOT TO BE! (A DODGT HEADGASKET?)

Post by tim leech »

Hi Guys,

Ive just bought of fleabay a TGD Auto with a lovely set of leather seats, very cheaply as the previous owner says the headgasket had gone, but was still mot'ed and the body althought filthy is fairly ok. I went to inspect the car today and after a jumpstart it started no probs and ran sweetly.

I then drove it the 110 miles home at approx 80-85mph where it performed faultlessly without overheating or any warning lights coming on!
However when i got it home and left it running whilst trying (without fail) to jetwash some of the slime and muck off the body the low water warning light came on but she did not over heat, I took the cap off, there was some pressure built up and some very filthy water around, but no oil in the water and no water in the oil which was still cleanish. I topped it up (half a litre) the light went off and all was well.

Any ideas whats up with it? It runs so well and has done 72000 miles, the autobox is perfect, I plant to swop the seats over with my txd and use the spare seats I was given! (thanks sleepy) to put her back to standard, and then sell on, after a full valet and a service of course.

Im no mechanic, but surely a blown headgasket would have more effect than just loosing a little water after 120 mile run?

Thanks!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Are you getting any bubbles in the cooling system?

Any mayo on the oil filler cap?

Try a compression test to see if you get any uneven readings

If all looks well then flush the cooling system, change the oil, give it a clean and sell it on!

I cant see it being worth much?

Has it got a full set of GTi wheel trims on this one? I'd buy them off you if you want to sell?
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Could be a collapsing pump intake water hose that will cause weird problems such as this.
I discussed it at length a while back and I think it was Jon who agreed it could be a common problem and in fact had it with his own car.
Without going through all the usual checks, if the fans are working how is the thermostat and is the pump working to its maximum efficiency?

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

A few bubbles in the water yes, but no residue in the filler kneck, the heater works ok but isnt hot, mind u the knobs stuck at half temp so cant tell! It gets warm quick enough, but doesnt get warm enough it seems for the cooling fan to come on. Maybe just a good flush some new hoses and a new thermostat would do the trick?

As for value, low miles AUTO diesel must be worth something! Even if its white!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If it's got bubbles coming up in the tank, you can be pretty sure the gaskets gone, however the tgd auto that I put a heater hose on last weekend has had bubbles now for three years. But its still going.

Check that the rad gets hot all over with no cold spots.
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

So what should I do with it? It runs better than my other two! Radiator seems warm but I will have to have another look.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

tim leech wrote:So what should I do with it? It runs better than my other two! Radiator seems warm but I will have to have another look.
Get the other two put right :lol:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Doh! The other two run fine just this one seems to have a extra turn of speed! Should I fix it, scrap it etc???
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Does have gti wheel trims ian, for a mk2 pre 90 my tho.

The owner broke a dead gti for the seats and a few bits, including the wider steel wheels and GTi trims.

I will put it in for a mot and see what happens, If it passes then I will keep it and try and sort the headgasket. anyone a Idea what it would cost to get done?
Last edited by tim leech on Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

That is unusual for an Auto.

You can't scrap it with an MOT. Swap your seats and sell it on. Get your money back. These Auto boxes are worth quite a bit in France.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I expected it to be dead slow but when its up and running it cruises happily at 80-100 no probs at all. kickdown works and the box is smooth makes ita real easy drive.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm getting excited about those wheel trims now :oops:
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The wider steel wheels are not for sale tho! GTi Trims would be if the sale included some other bx trims to replace with, TZD or similar.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

You know the ones I mean, same as fitted to a PREVIEW, GTi 8v 1987-1989.

How much are they worth? All are in tact and in good nick.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

i have no idea where i'm going to get some genuine BX wheel trims to replace the GTi rims with?

Does anybody have any so i could do a deal?
Over and out from me