Need help ID'ing another LHM leak

BX Tech talk
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Need help ID'ing another LHM leak

Post by Thickasmud »

Having last month spent almost £500 getting my TGD Auto through her MOT, she's been struck down again. MOT work incld'd a replacement new main Octopus due to a regular slight leak at the front. All seemed fine several 500+ mile trips delivering £60+mpg, then this morning after a quick trip, on return noticed a trail of drips leading back into the drive after reversing. On switching engine off there was a hissing sound and then a torrent of beautifully fresh LHM from the front right side of the crossmember area. The car immediately dropped. Restarted the car and she rose back again and when idling just a few drops but on switching off, repeated the same depresurisation and increased leak rate. Jacked car up +axle stands+rear wheel chocks. Removed o/s wheel but so much fluid cannot really see anything other than it looks to be seeping from @ the octopus AGAIN :twisted: HOWEVER When I jacked the car higher to remove the axle stands there was another great bout of hissing, gurgling and lots more LHM all over the driveway :( . Can anyone offer some suggestions which may help, thanks
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

This sounds suspiciously like it's the small octopus at fault, rather than the large one which has already been changed.

The small Octopus takes the return from both height correcters and the PR, hence the slight leak when running, and then a big leak when the car tries to return LHM to the reservoir from the suspension.

Fiddly, and irritatingly the small octopus is more expensive than the large one. Easier to fit though.
this might be a signature
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

Thanks for the swift response DR. Assuming it to be the "small octopus" can anybody confirm that the replacement is indeed Cit. part No. 95603421, and what its actually called, as I'll need to describe it to a main dealer parts dept. The car is a 1994 TGD BX19 Auto. Anyone brought one recently?
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

I bought one a month or two ago but I can't find the receipt. The mess on my desk is undescribable. Generally, it takes me a few hours to clean it up again.

But there are two types: one with power-steering and one without. Mine was without power-steering and did cost 62 and something.

The one with power-steering have another opening near the pressure-regulator and those are also at ebay sold for around 30 pound (AEP maybe).

I had to buy the original Citroen one as I couldn't find one without power-steering at ebay.

If you put the number you mentioned in the search function of this forum you'll get some hints.

Regarding Citroen dealers parts departments, I found three categories: some that do it even over the phone, some that simply decline the job over the phone, and some that ask you to come in person to assist the specially trained bloke behind the counter ... :lol:
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

As diagnosed, it was the mini octopus harness that needed replacement, the pipes on the strut returns had split. Car being a 1991 with power steering required the 3 return mini version part/no 96119048. Thanks for the replies.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, symptoms sound very similar to what mine is doing...

Useful info!