Electric oil level gauge

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Electric oil level gauge

Post by Aerodynamica »

Hi all, I have a fault with the oil level gauge that reads with the ignition switched on and then settles. Mine never activates at all as though it's dead. On occasion where the engine took more cranks to get going, 3-4 cranks in the gauge sometimes springs to life as though the engine cranking vibrations are giving an intermittent contact somewhere.

It has never been active long enough to ever actually show the oil level.

It's a Mk1 BX of course but I'd imagine the Mk2 16 and 19s used a similar system.

Question then is does anyone know of a common failure of these and where that occurs. And where the actual sender is located. I found what might be the sender at the rear of the engine with a 2 pin block connector to it - could this be the oil level sender?

any help gratefully received!!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Yeah that sounds like it, about halfway up the back of the block under the exhaust manifold. Think it has a red 2 pin connector IIRC, although it's bound to be in a worse for wear state!
Mine was intermittant for ages. Chopped the plug, crimped two spade terminals on and never looked back! it's not very accurate though :lol:

The other thing is that sometimes the wiring can get tight and snagged as it corners round the edge of the head above the gearbox, so check the insulation isn't ripped.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Will do cheers!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Scorching day here but I managed to have a look at the sender, wiring and gauge.

I have not yet been able to get it working.

I found the (a ) multi connector at the instruments was loose but easily re fixed. Not a difference. I then found the 2 pin connector above the gearbox anf bridged the terminals and retried the gauge but again no action.

Looking at the wiring diagram I see there's a control unit for the oil level gauge - does anyone know where this lives?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

'front harness, white plug 6 wires 2green 2brown black,white'. On later cars, older haynes manual says "in instrument cluster" but I can't find location for the early cars. Early wiring diagram shows it near the instruments for what thats worth.Good luck!
Huw
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks Huw, I'll have a look for it and give it a prod.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'