HOT AND BOTHERED!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

HOT AND BOTHERED!

Post by tim leech »

Is there any tips or a easy way to flush a Bx diesel cooling system thats crudded up? Any special way of bleeding it etc or is it just drop the hoses and and get the hosepipe out?

Many thanks
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I take the radiator off, pop a hosepipe up the bottom hose, and with the radiator standing on end let the hose run, picking up the rad and violently shaking it a few times keeps the gunge coming out.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Kewl, is it a difficult job to take it off stewart, would I be wise to replace thermostat at the same time? I take it thats str8 forward enough, my haynes manuals only covers petrol models! :roll:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Beware of siezed fastenings on the thermostat body if its the earlier alloy one, they are well known for snapping, seizing up and are also a bloody awkward size (M7) follow the BOL for removal of the rad, good luck.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

BOL??
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Book Of Lies........

Workshop manual, without mentioning any product names....

Doing a coolant change isnt difficult but its a good idea to buy new parts such as a fan switch, thermostat and rad cap. They're all pretty cheap.

Take the rad off and if its in good condition thoroughly flush it through and shake it up like Stewart says. Ideally get a new rad too if yours is cr4p.
Over and out from me
Tim2cv
BXpert

Post by Tim2cv »

if you need the car check everything prior to removal for any non standard bodges or things that are likely to break! I ordered the bits today to fix mine! Hopefully have it back on the road tomorrow! Stupid plastic housing!

TIM
2CV6 1986 Dolly

MEHARI 1976

DYANE 6 1981 - GF'S CAR!

www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum

www.myspace.com/tim2cv
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

How much is a new radiator then?? The car cost alot less than £100!
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Tim, whereabouts in Leicstershire do you live?
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ashby de la Zouch, they got some GTi wheel trims on fleabay matey if u wante dthem instead.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Didnt realise we are so close!

I'll keep an eye on the ebay trims and let you know.
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Have two other Bx's so can use them as a point of reference, just need the weather to take it all to bits! As soon as I get the toolbox out it rains!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I avoid working on the BX in the rain.......by waiting until the snow starts :) :) :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Well bought, thermostat, thermo switch, rad cap, new battery for £40! just wait and see if they all fit now!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Tim, I urge you not to attempt changing the thermostat unless you are CERTAINthe old one is no good.

It's not a question of will these bolts break off, it's just a question of how many.

Run the engine at idle speed, after 5-10 mins keep hold of the top hose, if it gets hot straight away, chances are your stat is stuck open or no stat at all. The top hose should stay almost cold untill stat opens, then you should be able to feel the hose get hot fairly suddenly.

I would only attempt to change stat as a last resort, there's so much can and does go wrong which would leave you well and truly up the creek.
They think it's all over, it is now!