driveshaft question

BX Tech talk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

driveshaft question

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Are the left hand and right hand outer joint housings the same?

I have an otherwise good LH shaft with a damaged hub nut thread, and wish to swap it with good one on a spare RH shaft.

I expect they are the same part, but I am checking first.

thanks,

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yep, they are the same.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Mike
Mike E (uk) wrote:The short one, nearside, for BX16V or 1.9 8V ABS

Any one got a 'known good one' for sale?

Mike
Hi Mike, I can see no Technical reason for changing the outer C/V joint from left to right or right to left provided it came from the same spec vehicle (i.e. so form fit and function is identical) as the hub nuts are both of right hand threads so if there off an identical spec. car there should be no issues.
If the drive-shaft/s did come from another donor vehicle just check for the same number of internal splines the main outer diameter of the C/V joint itself and if it has ABS as yours does just check the number of outer teeth of the ABS ring.
I once fitted just the outer C/V joint from a BX GTi with ABS (didn't take any particular notice to which handing it was) on to my lady friend Pug 309 TD GRD only thing was I had to machine a bit of a chamfer to the ABS teeth/ring as it would not clear the 309 hub/carrier as her vehicle did not have ABS (I suppose if it had ABS as say the 309 GTi it would have fitted as they probably have a different hub/carrier to allow it) the 309 is still running today with the same C/V joint with no problems many years later.
If you do this swap I would change the 'C' snap ring on the end of the drive-shaft as they only penny's because with age/use these can break into two or three pieces and it would not be good if they work them selves into the actual knuckle joint of the C/V bearings/housings also I take it you'd be fitting a new C/V joint rubber at the same time :!: