RADIATOR FLUID LEVELS AND THERMOSTAT QUESTIONS.

BX Tech talk
Mothman

RADIATOR FLUID LEVELS AND THERMOSTAT QUESTIONS.

Post by Mothman »

Hi all.

thanks for all your help in the past, just a couple more questions if i may.

First of all, what is the correct water level in the rad for a BX non turbo diesel? I can see the plastic vanes inside the rad which seem to suggest the correct filled level but my motor seems to be always at the level of the top of the rad and dosnt ever seem to go any lower. Is this ok?

Also, i replaced the thermostat recently and noticed that the area underneath where the top hose to the rad, underneath the thermo housing was very slightly wet. It was like this for a few weeks and i thought oh bugger, ive got to do it again but on checking for the last couple of days its been dry. Do i need to refit the thermo housing or will it be ok now?

Silly questions i know but have just replaced the rad etc, and dont want to do it all again unless i have to. Havnt yet topped up with antifreeze/summer coolant as i want to be sure ime ok.

Thanks again,

Andy
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

First of all, what is the correct water level in the rad for a BX non turbo diesel? I can see the plastic vanes inside the rad which seem to suggest the correct filled level but my motor seems to be always at the level of the top of the rad and dosnt ever seem to go any lower. Is this ok?
The original radiators had an insert, nearly always missing now, with a pull-up level indicator. After bleeding, the coolant finds its own level, and vents any excess though the rad cap area, so I'd not worry at all about this if the level is remaining constant.
Do i need to refit the thermo housing or will it be ok now?
Bear in mind that the coolant mixture with antifreeze WILL be much better than water at finding any possible means of escape. However, the level hasn't been dropping.....

The older type metal thermostat housing certainly needs an effective gasket in place, and it's quite feasible to make one up using the housing as a template. I haven't had anthing to do with a new-type plastic one for a while (the one with the fuel filter housing integrated into the top) so can't remember what the gasket arrangement is.

Has the car been used regularly since the work was done, and for what kind of journeys?
[/quote]
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi DLM,
thanks for your fast response.

The Thermo housing is a plastic one and as yet i havnt added any antifreeze, wanted to get everything right first and not keep wasting the stuff as i re did the rad etc. Once all sorted will add some.

Motor is used mainly for short jouneys, done a couple of 30 milers and as ime working at the South of England show from Weds till Sat with a round trip of 60 miles ile keep checking fluid levels.

Motor sounds as sweet as a nut and pulls well so fingers crossed.

Andy