BX17 TZD Turbo Estate.

BX Tech talk
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

BX17 TZD Turbo Estate.

Post by Peugeot/Citroen Mutant »

Hello all. I am new to BX's and this is my first post on this wonderfull site.

my name is steve im 23 and from Northern Ireland and up untill this point my favourite cars were AX's

but i recently picked up a green BX TD estate for £50 with tax and MOT and i have to say i love it alot.

i have fixed the rear boot- lid and changed the filthy airfilter.

everything is great and the suspension seems to be working as it should and the brakes are very good.

the only problem i seem to have is the boost only seems to come in sometimes and not others.

the car can be painfully slow one minute, and be quite fast the next.

it never seems to have any urgency in first gear but sometimes in 2nd and 3rd it is really quite fast?

i hope its not the turbo? any help would really be appreciated. thanks i have no pics yet but here is myself and my two cousins fitting a 100 bhp 1.3 into a 600 kg ax lol im the mad looking one with the cap onImage
1989 World Record Title

for the worlds most economical production car

goes to the AX 1.4d with over 100 mpg.

it drove from dover to barcelona on one tank. (45 litres)
Tourist
BXpert

Re: BX17 TZD Turbo Estate.

Post by Tourist »

Welcome ...
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant wrote:it never seems to have any urgency in first gear but sometimes in 2nd and 3rd it is really quite fast?
From what I've experienced with my BX, the turbo boost comes in at a different point in different gears, and it's not set in stone. Generally I don't get much surge in 1st, if any. 2nd is a little better, and in 3rd+ the boost is normal and comes in at about 2000 revs. I would put this down to the shortness of the lower gears, especially 1st. But I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's normal to get better pull in 3rd and 4th. Some more experienced BX owners should be able to better determine if you actually have a problem or not, but I would think that if your estate is a high miler, maybe it's not going to be at its best unless it's been serviced really well.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

hi steve and welcome send me a pm of your location and i will see if i can take a run up for a look
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Thanks guys.

Im going to get some decent oil and a new fuel filter next.

And after reading some of the threads on this site i will have to check the pipe running from my intercooler to fuel pump and all other fuel lines.

i might also drain the tank.

i am still trying to get my head around the true workings of the H/P system Ha Ha
1989 World Record Title

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Minimal boost in 1st is quite normal - at what revs is your turbo kicking in when in the upper gears? I can remember having to adjust my driving style completely when I first owned a BX turbodiesel. Changing up to make best use of the torque in the lower-to-mid 2000s rpm range is counter-intuitive at first...

As for oil, I'd just use a decent 15w40 mineral specified for a turbo diesel - the XUD's an older engine and fancy or slippier oils just aren't called for.

Forgive me as I'm probably stating things you're well aware of, but here are two of the quickest ways to ensure the standard BX TD setup is working as it should be:

(1) Ensure the throttle cable is nipped up correctly on the engine-bay clip to eliminate slack at the idle position - often the cable-stretch over time isn't noticed or compensated for. While your're at it, check your accelerator pedal isn't offsetting to the right in the footwell as the pedal box is less strong than it should have been, and can bend or even crack on the right-hand side. Also check the soiund insulation material around the cable run there isn't fouling the cable.

(2) Give the intercooler fins a damn good external wash-through to remove the dead flies, twig and leaf fragments and general fluff/muck.

NB - Important safety point for anyone reading this who's not aware that diesel engines and water don't mix: ensure that no water EVER enters the intercooler or air intakes.

If water's ingested into the air intake it's likely to kill your engine instantly or at least do severe damage - the reason why there are so many diesel casualties at times of floods.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

DLM wrote: If water's ingested into the air intake it's likely to kill your engine instantly or at least do severe damage - the reason why there are so many diesel casualties at times of floods.
Hi - I've always wondered about this, why doesn't rain damage engines?

Cheers
Steve

Ps Hi Steve

I'd've liked to have had a drive in that AX!! How'd it work out?
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Thanks DLM

i will have a good look at the throttle cable and pedat etc. And would you advise removing the intercooler and cleaning it off the car? when the boost does come on its at arount 2-2.500 RPM but it doesnt seem to work all the time even in 3rd or fourth gear

i havent seen the car since saturday as its at my dads. Thanks to the knowledge on this site i now have a good list off things to look at when i see her tomorrow. Thanks all

Oh and scarecrow, the AX Rallye was a great success and was very quick with around 100 bhp and very light weight. 0-60 was very quick even tho you had to change to third gear.

I took a long weekend to get the 106 rallye engine, ECU and front struts/anti-roll bars etc on there

unfortunately it was wrecked by some mad bitch in a nissan terrano about 2 months ago :cry:

i currently have a green ax 1.5d at the min which could be looking at a 1.9 td conversion in the future

will get some pics up asap
1989 World Record Title

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Hi - I've always wondered about this, why doesn't rain damage engines?

The air filter's in the way, and air intake systems are designed with this in mind. Also the volume of water concerned is tiny compared to what happens if the intake is submerged. My understanding is that diesels are more prone to damage due to the higher compression ratio.
would you advise removing the intercooler and cleaning it off the car?
I've always removed it myself, as it means you can finger-jet with a hose from both sides. A pressure cleaner would probably damage the fins, so I wouldn't recommend it. I've usually done the job on a hot day so the intercooler can be left out in the sun afterwards while doing something else.
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Thanks ^^

I will have to clean that intercooler !

today i had a good look at the accelerator pedal and it was bent away off to the right.

so i straightened it out a bit and took her for a spin

OMG what a difference! the car was flying in every gear from about 2000 rpm + i even pulled an accedental wheelspin in 2nd gear ha ha.

the only problem now is that my speedo stopped working !

i cant believe how well this car pulls even with half an AX and a fridge in the back !

thanks guys.
1989 World Record Title

Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Heres a few pics as promised

Here is the only pic i have so far of the wee Diesel AX that i hope to convert to 1.9 TD power

ImageImageImage
1989 World Record Title

DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

today i had a good look at the accelerator pedal and it was bent away off to the right.

so i straightened it out a bit and took her for a spin

Seriously, check the right-hand-side pedal box for damage NOW - the metal can crack and break with stress over time. Consider welding up reinforcement (pedal box OUT of car), or bolting on a reinforcement plate. You know it makes sense.
OMG what a difference! the car was flying in every gear from about 2000 rpm + i even pulled an accedental wheelspin in 2nd gear ha ha.
I guess you're convinced now that the turbo IS spinning up.
only problem now is that my speedo stopped working !
Check the upper speedo cable's still connected to the back of the dash first. Then check it's still all in one piece. The original has a press-on plastic connector that gets fragile with age: the replacement-type cable is kept in place by plastic hooks either side.

The upper speedo cable can be replaced if that's the problem - German Swedish and French did a replacement the last time I needed one. The same was true for Eurocarparts.

If it's not the upper cable things get a bit more awkward.

(1) Speedo cable inner not turning: lower cable in the engine bay(unlikely)
(2) Ditto - some plastic cogs inside the gearbox housing (no access..)
(3) Speedo cable still turning, but not detached - the speedo unit itself is broken (awkward).
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Thanks once again DLM

i will have a good look at the pedal box and speedo at the weekend.

i think i will also clean the intercooler and maybe flush the rad as there is a cold spot at the bottom.

do people turn up the fuelling and adjust the wastegate on these engines?

steve
1989 World Record Title

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I can heartily agree on cleaning the intercoler out, I did it on a very high miles TZD turbo estate (also in green) and it made a huge difference!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Peugeot/Citroen Mutant

Yes Roverman i will definately have to do it at the weekend as its full off dirt and leaves etc.

the Mileage off my car is 207000 miles :lol: im thinking it could really do with a proper service and a good clean as its a bit untidy. also the previous owner has attached the rear bootlid with regular hinges from B&Q

is there a service guide anywhere? where is my fuell pump located?

thanks alot guys.
1989 World Record Title