JAMMED KNOBS!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

JAMMED KNOBS!

Post by tim leech »

It seems a common fault on bx models that the heater control knob seizes solid! I know 2 of my cars suffer with this and no matter what i do they wont move! Have broken one of the knobs so far so not wanting to do them both!

What causes this and is there a easy way to fix it, have taken the dash to bits but cant get at the cable!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

This is a common problem caused by the valve underneath the steering column seizing up.

In my case it seized through lack of use and sludge for coolant.

After a coolant change, some wd40 on the linkages and some manual opening and closing it did loosen right up.
Over and out from me
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Kept my water valve free for the last 6 years by simply spraying it with silicon - regularily - about every 18 months!

jeremy
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Wheres this valve then guys? Under the steering column, do I need to take it to bits or can u see it If i poke my head unerneath.

Thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Up besides the clutch pedal - over the tunnel on the side of the heater casing - you should be able to see a bowden cable and some plastic gears and - yes - the water valve at the top. Once you've found it you'll see why I use a silicon spray - which makes less mess of the carpet than WD 40 and also seems to stay in place and is probably better for any rubber bits in the valev (gland?)

jeremy
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks jeremy, another job to do when the weather permits!

Regards
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I used to have a BX customer who came to me to turn his heater on in Autumn and back off again in early summer, once the thing is moving its a case of use it or lose it.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Is this the Hot/Cold control? Mine just springs back to hot again - but it isn't actually that hot either!

Might get out there right now and see if I can free it off as it's already bloomin' cold out there!

Ian
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Right. Been there. Done that. Hurt my fingers and back!

And failed to free it up anymore. I'll leave my grease to soak but I'm not hopeful. Any ideas what I can do? Need more heat now (max heat equals the penultimate red sector at the moment) and I'll need to shut it off in the summer (goes around to six o clock the other way!).

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Dont force it whatever you do. Or you'll end up with no heat and one very nasty little job to do.
Sounds like Tims already got this one.

Question for the very technically minded. Why do Citroen cut this heater valve cable to the last 1000th of an inch. The other two cables aren't too bad, But changing a heater control panel is a nightmare because of this one cable.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Glad you said that Ken as I'm the sort who loses his rag and ends up destroying stuff! Some heat is better than no heat!!

But what can be done to free it off?

Ian
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

As has been said earlier, change the coolant and apply silicone spray to the valve/tap itself whilst gently trying to move it back and forth from the control knob.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Coolant was changed with the 'stat at the weekend (not strictly speaking necessary but I like to change it frequently ie 2 years).

Have sprayed some lube but no joy yet. I'll give it another go at the weekend although I may be in the Peaks...

Ian
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Yangreen - there are two cables on the back of that knob which balance each other - sounds like one of yours has come off.

If you ever find yourself in the position of having to refit heater control cables, you'll get frustrated pretty quickly.

After 40 minutes of swearing, I approached it differently. I took a half-inch wide, twelve inch long strip of gaffer tape and overlapped it on the cable, sticking it to itself to make a six inch auxiliary handle. I built up several layers like that to make it strong enough to cope with the leverage necessary. This enabled me to get enough force on the cable to slip it over the knob and hold it in place while it secured it.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi Oscar

I think the "tap" is actually seized as it barely moves so not convinced it is a cable issue.

Needs another "lube" session!

Ian