TD clutch retaining bolts

BX Tech talk
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

TD clutch retaining bolts

Post by jonathan_dyane »

All being well I hope to have another engine in my BX by this time next week, and I called into the local Peugeot stealer in order to pick up a breather hose. I intended to buy some clutch retaining bolts, as when I did the clutch on my NA 205D I found that the bolt’s were crappy Torx things seemingly made out of a cheese-like substance. Having been previously pre-rounded by an errant spanner monkey, I ended up having to weld nuts onto each bolt-head in order to remove the clutch.

Anticipating similar fun replacing the BX clutch, I went to buy more bolts, but found them to be far dearer than the ones for the 205, so was wondering whether anyone could comment as to whether the TD bolts are perhaps more rugged and I’m likely to be able to reuse them? I don’t want to get stuck half-way through the job with the shops shut, but then I don’t particularly want to spend 30 quid on a load of bolts I don’t need either :-P
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I never had any trouble at all when changing them on my BX TD but the VW's i've had needed new bolts. Pretty sure they are allen headed bolts.
Over and out from me
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I'd use your local friendly nut and bolt supplier and buy a handful of 10.9 or 12.9 grade socket-head screws of the correct length to use. From a decent supplier they will be pence each.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thanks guys, that's most helpful.

I must confess I had no idea as to what tensile strength would be required, but armed with that knowledge I now know what to ask for should the situation dictate!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski