Question about Mk1 rev counter

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Question about Mk1 rev counter

Post by Aerodynamica »

Any Mk1 owners with (or prev experience of) the LED rev counter of the Mk1? I wanted to ask if the behaviour of mine can be confirmed as normal or malfunction:

occasionally, before starting the engine, switching the ignition barrel to bring on the oil/hyd/stop lights etc, the whole length of the rev counter illuminates for about a second or 2 like it's testing or something. Is this normal and if so why does it only do it every so often?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Pretty sure my 16TRS auto did that, if it works normally when driving I wouldnt worry.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ah, right the trouble is that lately when it has done this I have noticed that several of its 'blocks are missing! it looked like it was having a crisis..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Aerodynamica wrote:Ah, right the trouble is that lately when it has done this I have noticed that several of its 'blocks are missing! it looked like it was having a crisis..
Or it's alerting you to the fact that it has a problem on a self-diagnognostic check.
More likely to be a problem with the chip or LED drivers than the LEDs themselves.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Could be, Graeme the guy with the complete Mk1 interior should have a spare did you get hold of him? pm me if you want his details.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks guys - Tim, is he located in North Wales? I'm sure I spoke to him ages ago and he said it was not for grabs? It's a shame, as I really want to change the interior to the same colour tweed for better wearing.

IIRC, it was regarding the plastic quarter windows that I asked him, that was the last I ever did hear from him.

Could of course, be a different dude.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Aerodynamica wrote:is he located in North Wales?
If he is, give me a shout and I may be able to collect before the National...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks Matt, that would be kind. Of course I'll need to confirm he actually IS located there!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes mate hes in wrexham, he was on about restoring the Mk1 but it was rotten as a pear and hes stripped it and scarpped the shell so itw orth giving him another shout.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Just spoke to him and there are parts available.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

My rev counter does exactly what you're experiencing Graeme but that's it - comes on for those two seconds then nothing else.
I got an entire binnacle out of a Mk.1 scrapper but the strange thing is that there are various different manufacturers - some were made in France and some in Japan and the interior workings are not interchangeable.
I read here on the BX DIY section that non-functioning tachos on early models were almost certainly due to the failure of the sensor on the engine. I was hoping that was the problem on mine as I've never seen it working. Just got to locate the sensor now!
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I read here on the BX DIY section that non-functioning tachos on early models were almost certainly due to the failure of the sensor on the engine. I was hoping that was the problem on mine as I've never seen it working. Just got to locate the sensor now!
- that's interesting - could that maybe refer to the Diesel models (the sensor on the engien) as I'm certain that the petrol cars simply have a sender attached to the -ve of the coil. But might be wrong ( I certainly was wrt my last girlfriend)

Does yours light up for 2 seconds every time? or is it just say once in every 10 times (like mine)

I didn't know there were lots of manufacturers. I knew about the two makes: Veglia and Jaeger - both of which make the instrumants for the Mk1 BX (mine's Veglia) and indeed the CX S1 too. I always thought (unjustifiably) that the Jaeger make was better.

Am I right in thinking that on the BX, the Jaeger made Mk1 instruments was only for the LHD Kph speedo? anyone know if it's true?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Aerodynamica wrote:But might be wrong ( I certainly was wrt my last girlfriend)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are after anything from the guy in Wrexham, let me know and I'll pop in next ime I am over in that direction...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Aerodynamica wrote:But might be wrong ( I certainly was wrt my last girlfriend)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are after anything from the guy in Wrexham, let me know and I'll pop in next ime I am over in that direction...
Yes, a fabulous WELSH girl with a really strong welsh accent and great titz would be most agreeable thank you most muchly good sir.

But of course, I'd keenly settle for the BX bits - I have not heard back from Andy with regard to the parts and what he wants for them. I wanted to know also if the seat upholstery was removed as the 'covers', cushions or whole seats. Just thinking about the logistics.

Hmm, Ladies with Welsh accents make my knees go weak
:oops:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Can people with a strong Welsh accent understand people with a strong Scottish one? :wink:

I'm joking of course... but I have before now had to translate from English to English. A bloke from Glasgow and a bloke from Texas. They genuinely could not understand each other. It was hillarious.
this might be a signature