Question about Mk1 rev counter

BX Tech talk
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

DavidRutherford wrote:Can people with a strong Welsh accent understand people with a strong Scottish one? :wink:

I'm joking of course... but I have before now had to translate from English to English. A bloke from Glasgow and a bloke from Texas. They genuinely could not understand each other. It was hillarious.
I'm not sure I have that strong an accent? probably do tho.

Oddly, I nderstand every single dialect and accent in the English speaking world (including Carribean and Fifer*)

*those who hail from Fife in Eastern Scotland :lol:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I learned to understand Glaswegian during my 6 months stay in the Nautical College (Admiral Street, in the old Gorbals) during the mid-70s.
Also sailed with quite a few really broad Glasgae seamen around the 70s.

Every single one of them was as "sound as a pound", despite sounding just like Rab C Nesbitt after a couple of galloms of McEwans 70/-. Contrary to popular belief, I also never encountered one single bit of bother during my stay in Glasgow. Had to take a bit of banter for being a Sassenach, but felt quite at home for the duration. I was actually quite sad to leave, and go back to sea (the next portion of my course was to be held in Liverpool......another story!).

The only British accent that I sometimes have trouble understanding is a really broad Geordie accent!!
As one of my old Navy mates (from Cambuslang) told me......."a Geordie is only a Glaswegian with his brains kicked out!"
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

The only British accent that I sometimes have trouble understanding is a really broad Geordie accent!!
As one of my old Navy mates (from Cambuslang) told me......."a Geordie is only a Glaswegian with his brains kicked out!"
- now that is scary!

Fairly sure I understand the Geordie. Once he takes the pies out his gob!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mountainmanUK wrote: The only British accent that I sometimes have trouble understanding is a really broad Geordie accent!!
If that Geordie accent is in fact the Geordie dialect then it's unlikely that many from outside the area will be able make sense of it because it is almost another language! :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DavidRutherford wrote:Can people with a strong Welsh accent understand people with a strong Scottish one?
I'm sure they can share their mutual love for the English... :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've never had a problem with the Geordie accent - so long as there's not too much dialect, as the intonation seems quite similar to a broad South Wales accent, which I got very used to in my youth. I did get stymied by rural Northumbrian once - couldn't get more than one word in three.

When I worked in a call centre,I found the most difficult accent to follow was broad Glaswegian spoken by someone with an Asian background (Glaswasian?). Not impossible by any means, but sometimes hard work.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.