Any ideas? I just can't get her to start - help!

BX Tech talk
Adey

Any ideas? I just can't get her to start - help!

Post by Adey »

before I call out an auto electrician, has anybody got any ideas how to get my 19 4x4 estate going?

She cut out a few weeks ago and I had new plugs,leads, rotor arm and amp fitted and she's been great.

After a week I went to start her and nothing, first stage ignition lights come on nice and bright, secound stage and lights go off.

I've cleaned all the connections for the battery and earths, and the connections to the starter motor. I've tired jump leads and charged it overnight but still won't start?

Any ideas gratefully received?

thanks

Adey
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

When you say won't start do you mean the engine turns over with the starter and doesn't start ? Or is it that nothing happens when you turn the key to the second stage?
If its the last one then it does sound like its either the battery just suddenly giving up the ghost (although tbh its only happened to me in the winter) or it sounds like it could be one of the leads from the battery, so got to be worth taking all leads off and thorough cleaning especially oof where earth lead joins body.
If its the former then I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone else to advise you as I've got a diesel.........but I've had many petrol cars and often its a process of elimination.
But just do one thing at a time or you won't know what was wrong if you do fix it!
First off, is it getting fuel? Easy to overlook the fact that there isn't any there; check gauge ....other way is to take the fuel pipe off (in some way) and being careful where it goes, get someone else to turn the engine over for a second or so and see if petrol comes out; as I said be careful where it goes or you won't need to worry about it starting it'll be an insurance job :lol:
If its got fuel then try looking for a spark; check all connections around the coil and spark plugs then give it a turn overif it starts then no probs but if not, then take a plug out to see if when the engine is turned over there is a big fat blue spark from the electrode to the engine body (careful here as the spark can be a bit shocking or worse).
After that I'm lost; so bonne chance mon ami.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
Adey

Post by Adey »

Hi Mike

Thanks for that info, very useful.

Its the latter, as in nothing happens. its a brand new battery and i've taken all the earths and connections off last night and cleaned them all up nicely.

Its really got me stumped !

thanks again

Adey
Adey

Post by Adey »

Local mechanic popped around and said it was an open circuit on the starter so probably needs replacing, i'll have a look on ebay for a new one!

thanks

Adey
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Starter motor or starter solenoid (probably the latter)? Is there just a click from under the bonnet when you turn the key to the start position?

Perhaps worth a quick try with the crude approach - a couple of brisk taps on the starter motor body with a hammer - though I'd expect the brushes on the motor to be OK if it's only a week since last run.

Also, try removing the battery and wire-brushing the brown multi-pin connector block under the battery tray - it's well known for fouling-up over time.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Adey

Post by Adey »

Hi David

Yep got it going earlier by hitting hard with a hammer, sounds like the brushes or something inside turning slowly then catches.

thanks

Adey