Door seal does not seal

BX Tech talk
Boxwolf
BXpert

Door seal does not seal

Post by Boxwolf »

Took the BX in a car wash the other day and ended up half soaked due to the top half of the drivers door seal not meeting the door. There's about 1-2mm of gap there but the rubber is not perished. Is this to do with door misalignment, and is there an easy fix?
1992 BX TXD Turbo
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

With the door open and the window wound all the way down, tease* the window frame inwards a little until it presses on the seal a little.

*for tease, I mean stick your boot against the door, grab hold of the upper frame and bend it.
this might be a signature
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

*for tease, I mean stick your boot against the door, grab hold of the upper frame and bend it.
works too - and it was a 'dealer approved' practice in the recent past as well...
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

nods in agreement with above replies :)
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

David R

Is that adjustment, a 1 or 2 spanner, degree of difficulty, as I couldn’t seem find the instructions in Haynes!!!!

Boxwolf, after your fine tuning on your bodywork, check the door top hinge pin and for any cracks appearing around the hinge mounting for any door sag.

Regards
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

It's the "you are a spanner for reading the haynes manual" rating.... :wink:
mat_fenwick

Re: Door seal does not seal

Post by mat_fenwick »

Boxwolf wrote:in a car wash the other day and ended up half soaked
Sorry, no technical help whatsoever (but that's already been answered), however it did remind me of an amusing incident from my youth...

I was on the way to a 'hot date' with a girl I had recently met, and on the way I thought it best to give the car a bit of a clean, so that it would match my freshly scrubbed appearence. So I find a driver through car wash, go in, wind down the window (very slowly due to an aging motor) and put in the money. With the window would halfway back up I noticed that I had forgotten to push the aerial back in, so I wound the window down again, and try and reach the aerial. No such luck, so I decide to open the door, get out (by this time the pre-wash spray has started) and push it down that way. By the time I started to retract the aerial the roller brushes had begun to move, so I quickly got back in the car and started to wind up the window.
Unfortunately not fast enough to prevent the soapy water from the brushes (after they had snapped off the top half of the aerial) dousing me through the half open window. It wasn't the best preparation for the evening ahead, although I did get to the pub on time, and met her a couple of times after that...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Thanks everyone, I'll give that a go soon. The door is sagging somewhat, but I don't know how I'd go about sorting that and if its not a serious problem I'd rather just leave it alone so long as I can get the seal to work.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Boxwolf wrote:The door is sagging somewhat, but I don't know how I'd go about sorting that
If you lift the door, is it a bit loose on it's hinges (play in the hinge pin) or is it fairly solid? If it's solid, then more bending of bits of car are needed. If however there is play, then a replacement hinge pin (along with possibly drilling the hinge holes out to accept a slightly larger pin, or maybe even an insert) will fix it.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

....or the hinge pillar could be starting to suffer from tinworm, allowing the weight of the door to distort the pillar.
Common place to find rust on a BX, and a relatively easy fix for someone with access to welding gear, or a nice, friendly, local welding chappie! :wink:
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Okay, I pulled the door top back into shape and it seems to be meeting the seal properly now. Will have to take it in another car wash to see if its worked, but get someone else to drive it in just in case :lol:

The top back edge of the front door is lower than the edge of the back door, but the doors seem to meet okay below the window line so I'm not sure if the door is sagging all that much. If I get the car out tomorrow I'll see if the door is loose or solid when attempting to lift it.
1992 BX TXD Turbo
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

-hope it works

I'd do this on my CX if it wasn't for the risk that the door frame snapping!

(looks at mine and spots previous sign of repair..)

-think I'll go easy on it then..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Boxwolf wrote:Okay, I pulled the door top back into shape and it seems to be meeting the seal properly now. Will have to take it in another car wash to see if its worked, but get someone else to drive it in just in case :lol:
No need to do that. Just get a watering can or a jug full of water and carefully pour it around the door shut. With the rear door open you can look in and see straight away if any water 's got in.

I had exactly the same problem with my offside rear door and I had to adjust the latch and bend the window frame inwards to get it to seal against the rubber.

Cheers,

Mark.