ABS driveshafts

BX Tech talk
SamWise
BXpert

ABS driveshafts

Post by SamWise »

I've put up with the juddering in my car now for quite a long time for one simple reason; driveshafts for an ABS car seem to start at a basic price of "half yer kingdom, and yer daughters hand in marriage!" I can find plenty of non ABS ones for around £40......

So, two questions. Firstly, does anyone know wherew I can get a reasonably priced ABS driveshaft. Secondly, couldn't I use a non-ABS one? I mean, my ABS light is permanently on anyway, and I'm not one for getting into hairy situations. Could I just make the substitution?
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

You certainly could, but the ABS light being on will fail the MOT, so would be a rather short term solution, which will make fixing the ABS come MOT time that bit more work...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Really? My XM has passed 2 successive MOTs with the ABS light on...... Maybe I just have a friendly tester?

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

.....or one who takes one look at the dashboard on an XM, shakes his head in disbelief or puzzlement and moves onto the next thing.

I've spent a long time trying to debug ABS before MOT only to find the problem lay in the ignition switch/loom, helped by a hard copy of a BX-specific ABS test procedure pdf that someone's given links on the site before. It needs nothing more technologically advanced than a voltmeter. Was the light on when you bought the BX, and how did the fault develop?

I'm sure I've been told that an ABS-equipped BX has not only ABS-specific driveshafts but ABS-specific hubs too, so I think the swap's not on. No doubt if I'm wrong, someone will be along to tell me soon...

What happened to the eBay driveshafts at a reasonable price someone pointed you in the direction of?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

DLM wrote:I'm sure I've been told that an ABS-equipped BX has not only ABS-specific driveshafts but ABS-specific hubs too, so I think the swap's not on. No doubt if I'm wrong, someone will be along to tell me soon...
ABS cars do indeed have ABS-specific hubs, in the way that they have ABS-specific rear arms too. A non-ABS shaft will physically fit, but if course will definitely not allow the ABS to work.

I have heard tales of removing the ABS ring from the CV joint on an ABS shaft and moving it over to the non-ABS shaft, but they are a heavy press fit and so not the easiest thing to do.
this might be a signature
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Well then. Where shall I find an ABS drive shaft that doesn't cost 50% of the car's value?

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Two solutions (at least).
Try local motor factors. Mine can get them for ~70gbp exchange price.
Buy a non abs shaft and swap the CV joint over from your existing shaft
Buy a cv joint for ABS and fit it to the non abs shaft.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Sam - can still offer you the gratis non-ABS TD driveshafts if you want to go route 2 or 3.

Question to anyone who knows. Does route 2 or 3, or fitting a replacement ABS CV joint - require purchase of a suitable circlip to retain the CV joint on the shaft?

I have a replacement ABS CV joint which will need to be fitted sooner or later to replace my currently clicking one.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

David I have never bothered to renew the circlip. It is not as if the joint can fall off. Its main functions are to ensure that it is only the inner joint that moves in and out to alter the d/s length as the suspension moves up and down to avoid c/v joint and d/s spline wear.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Thanks Jaba - my main concern is that it would be damaged in removing the old CV joint. What's the best method of removing the old CV joint? I seem to remember that it's a case of "designer violence" with an appropriate hammer of reasonable mass, with the driveshaft held in a vice.

Apologies to Sam for hijacking this thread a little, but it may all be useful info...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can knock the CV joints off with out a vice and with the shaft still on the car.
Remove gaitor, copper headed hammer, hold shaft with one hand, then give the joint a bloody good hit with the hammer. Never failed to pop one off yet doing it that way, ever.

All of that sounds dirty doesn't it!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

You do have a way with words, doc....
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

DLM wrote: What happened to the eBay driveshafts at a reasonable price someone pointed you in the direction of?
Not complete shafts but just the CV joint kit for a Bendix ABS system complete with circlip, S/S straps for the rubber boot, drive-shaft nut and what looks like a split pin which would work but your probably aware that the drive-shaft uses an 'R' clip and castellated washer , so just use the old one.

Link:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0128972847
DLM wrote: Question to anyone who knows. Does route 2 or 3, or fitting a replacement ABS CV joint - require purchase of a suitable circlip to retain the CV joint on the shaft?

If you only want a circlip they should be available separately from the main-dealer for about 20/30 pence IIRC
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

What happened to the eBay driveshafts at a reasonable price someone pointed you in the direction of?
Hi Dave,
Here's the linky for the cheap eBay driveshafts that I posted for someone earlier :D It's still "active" so I presume they still have stock!

BX O/S driveshaft

Think it's only the driver's side (long) shaft, but that's the most expensive anyway!
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Thanks - I have a complete ABS CV joint already myself, was reminding Sam the ebay item exists. I have a completely irrational phobia about removing BX driveshafts - it always takes me several times longer than it should so like to remind myself exactly what's what before starting.