spigot

BX Tech talk
Red Estate

spigot

Post by Red Estate »

Hi, i have a set of MOMO arrow wheels with 195/50/15. it fit fine on estate but it seems that bore hole on the wheels is 73.1 mm and spigot on the car hub is 65.1 mm. as i understand that wheel bore hole must sit perfactly on hub's spigot, it is the one that take the weight of the car not wheels bolt. there is some spigot adepter on sell on internet but most of them are made from plastic. their main job is to stop a vibration. so,i wonder would it stand the load without deform sir?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I had a mate who had the placcy spiggots fitted an never had a problem. Seems a bit of a bodge when you fit them, but remember most of the weight is taken by the bolts.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Your a smarter man than me Kitch, i couldn't make head nor tale of the original post.
Red Estate

Post by Red Estate »

Sorry about unclear on original post. Can plastic spigot in alloy wheel center bore take the weight of the car without quickly deforming or should i look for metal one sir?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Red Estate wrote:Sorry about unclear on original post. Can plastic spigot in alloy wheel center bore take the weight of the car without quickly deforming or should i look for metal one sir?
Surely the "plastic spigot" is for ease of wheelbolt insertion/alignment and is not in anyway structural with regard to the weight of the car? The wheel held by the bolts and against its mating surfaces on the hub is what supports the car in this regard.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I agree, virtualy no weight is taken on the wheel centre as that is a clearance hole. The bolts engage in a countersunk recess.
So car weight is transferred to the hub via the bolts and the interface between the wheel and hub face.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thirded(!) My 3.5 ton van only relies on the wheel studs/bolts to locate the wheel and take the weight. Which makes it a pain when changing the wheels on the front, as the front wheels use bolts rather than studs for fixing.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Yeah thats it, it's not a load bearing part. Only issue I've ever found is that if the hub isn't a tight fit to the wheel centre, there's enough float in the bolts to allow the wheel out of balance slightly as you tighten it. Car would drive fine, until you braked! Then it'd shake itself to pieces! :shock:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote:Only issue I've ever found is that if the hub isn't a tight fit to the wheel centre, there's enough float in the bolts to allow the wheel out of balance slightly as you tighten it. Car would drive fine, until you braked! Then it'd shake itself to pieces! :shock:
That's an area that the Steelies are better than the alloys then as the cones on the bolts micro-align the wheels as you tighten. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Red Estate

Post by Red Estate »

From this www.nice-wheels.co.uk/pcdandoffset.html. they said" If you don't have the spigot taking all the weight of the car, chances are you'll break one or more studs when you drive the car hard or have to brake hard. Remember the wheel nuts are simply there to hold the wheel on, NOT support the weight of the car.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Brian wrote:I agree, virtualy no weight is taken on the wheel centre as that is a clearance hole. The bolts engage in a countersunk recess.
So car weight is transferred to the hub via the bolts and the interface between the wheel and hub face.
Incorrect , therefore I disagree :!:
Red Estate wrote:From this www.nice-wheels.co.uk/pcdandoffset.html. they said" If you don't have the spigot taking all the weight of the car, chances are you'll break one or more studs when you drive the car hard or have to brake hard. Remember the wheel nuts are simply there to hold the wheel on, NOT support the weight of the car.
Correct :D But (Red Estate) The link quoted fail's to open up :!: But does open with this LINK and then select 'PCD and Offset Explained' :D
Last edited by RxBX on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Red Estate wrote:From this www.nice-wheels.co.uk/pcdandoffset.html. they said" If you don't have the spigot taking all the weight of the car, chances are you'll break one or more studs when you drive the car hard or have to brake hard. Remember the wheel nuts are simply there to hold the wheel on, NOT support the weight of the car.
What utter crap.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

How does that explain the situation on vehicles that have no locating 'spigot'? On the van there is nothing to locate the (original) wheels onto, and that has a maximum rear axle weight of 2 tons, all taken by 5 studs each side...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

docchevron1472 wrote:
What utter crap.
Indeed. The hub of the wheel is not load bearing in any way. The wheel bolts are.

After all, how on earth can the hub of the wheel transmit the torque they are referring to from acceleration or braking? Answer is that it can't.

In actual fact, when the wheel bolts are torqued up correctly, they don't carry any of the braking or acceleration forces either, that's done entirely by the friction between the wheel and the brake disc and hub. This friction is of course only available as the wheel is being clamped to the disc and hub by the tension in the bolts.
Brian wrote:I agree, virtualy no weight is taken on the wheel centre as that is a clearance hole. The bolts engage in a countersunk recess.
This is correct.

Having read a couple of pages of that web site, there's a fair amount of utter bollocks on it...
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

DavidRutherford wrote:there's a fair amount of utter bollocks on it...
What, like this?
It is, of course, extremely important that the clearance Pitch Circle Diameterof both the vehicle body work and steering/suspension components are maintained.
Just to clarify what I was saying earlier, if there is no spigot then the wheel bolts/nuts must be domed, in order to centralise the wheel…not like a Mondeo I saw recently that had the domes towards the outside "Because they look better". :roll:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad