Thunk...

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Thunk...

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's probably nothing, but recently, whilst moving boxes around with my GTi with the rear seats folded doen and the car 'stripped' of clutter in the back, I've noticed a pronounced 'thunk' from the rear O/S corner when turning right over a bumpy surface or ridge. It sounds like something's knocking the floor, but I can't find anything loose in the back and nothing's hanging off. My first thought was a loose spare or maybe the jack's come loose in the spare, but surely (I figured) I'd get the 'thunk' over rough or bumps whatever I was doing. Trouble is I notice it now when all the seats are returned to upright and the parcel shelf's replaced.

Is this sound a well known ominous sign for something? The car's just passed it's MOT and nothing was noted then.

Or am I just a worrier? :?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Outside of the car with suspension in normal setting (and with car as cold as possible) give the rear of the exhaust a good shake and see if it`s knocking against the body or floor somewhere.
Sounds like a possible case of knackered rubber mount-cheap and easy to sort out usually.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes, Ireckon you've probably got the exhaust crossbox hanger banging on the subframe or tailpipe, check the rubber hangers are all seated properly, they may have been dislodged during the MOT.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Cheers, I'll do that.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Also worth making sure the subframe is still bolted on, and the anti-roll bar hasn't come loose.

jeremy