Front doesn't rise properly

BX Tech talk
TB2
BXpert

Front doesn't rise properly

Post by TB2 »

Well: I started the engine as usual and turned the lever from low to mid and waited. But the car only went up at the rear. Then I've put the lever to high and then the rear rose some more, and very slowly the front went up as well, but way slower than usual. It manged to get to the right height after half a minute, and then I did some steering and breaking and everything worked.

Then I've put it in low again, at which point the front dropped in like one second, while the rear went down normally. Did this a couple of times with same results. One time the front didn't rise at all even though the lever was in high.

Also, I've located the source of a previously spotted leak. I've checked the LHM level and it's fine, and the puddle on the ground isn't big. Isn't this the FDV? Well the top two pipe seals seem to leak. here's a (clickable) picture:

So how do I fix this? Is it the FDV? I was going to buy an overhauling kit anyway. Or might this leak not be related to the front not rising anymore?
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Could be a sticking height corrector maybe? had a similar problem on my first BX, just needed lubricating.

EDIT, I forgot to put word LINKAGE in!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Front End taking too long to settle

Post by Turboalternator »

Hallo TB2

First suspect is the front height corrector and as it seems to get there eventually might mean that it is blocked with dirt. You could try the citroen gymnastics... i.e fully Up to fully Down about 5 times, (with engine running).

If this does cure it temporarily you might like to consider "Hydraflushing" your system .. plenty of posts on that. I think that someone, (David?), said that hydraflush keeps dirt particles in suspension so when you drain it out, (to replace with normal LHM), you also drain out the dirt.

Please download this pdf and read it carefully:

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/H ... aulics.pdf

I think this is good reading for every BX owner.

I don't think that it is the FDV, even though it is leaking slightly. Don't forget that the suspension LHM pressure is very high and for the FDV to be the culprit LHM would be gushing out... but I could be very wrong.

More likely, there is an internal leak (high pressure side to low pressure side), again that could be happening inside the front height corrector.

There is a way to test this by seeing which return hose, (return pipes at the reservior), is sending back a lot of LHM.

See the test here:

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... ension.php

See what other members say maybe they can think of another test ...

If it is the front height corrector then it is not a very difficult or expensive job to change with a second hand unit. (About £12 + PP from a member or even free + pp).

If you do replace this unit don't forget that an adjustment will be necessary afterwards.. by un-clamping the adjust bar from the anti-roll bar and moving the adjust bar then re-clamp. I think how to do that is described in the Haynes Manual.

By the way .. I haven't read the above mentioned pdf completely as I only just discovered it today! .. but it looks very good and useful.

Let me know what you think of it.

Best regards,
19 TRS Estate
In the past: 2CV, Dyane 4, GSA
Be faithful to your BX and she'll be faithful back
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Bent rod, sticking height corrector linkage perhaps - the height corrector itself doesn't have any external moving parts (the linkage presses/pulls back against it).

As Tim has said, the linkage can be lubricated, but may also need some manual "exercising" to free it up. On some petrol BXs it's just possible to reach from above behind the engine, but a diesel is a different matter. It's also a shame you weren't able to look as this when you had the car up on a lift, where this can be done most safely. Otherwise you need both ends of the car well-supported for safety.

I could also be linkage adjustment out of kilter , or the height corrector reluctant to allow flow due to foreign bodies in the LHM. When was the last LHM change and tank/filter clean?

I'd only use hydraflush if the height corrector linkage is adjusted correctly but the corrector doesn't respond to correct inputs. If that fails to do anything over time, it's probably time for a new height corrector.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Front End taking too long to settle

Hallo again,

Also came across this site today .. it has a section on height correctors:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Po ... clnk&gl=uk

Best of luck!
19 TRS Estate
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Very minor dribbles from the flow diverter are unlikely to indicate a problem that'll affect anything else in my opinion.

If the pipe seals are leaking, get new ones and replace them. IF the plugs on the body of the FDV are leaking, it's overhaul or replacement time. By the way, unless you're pretty dextrous and have a set of suitable short or cut-down spanners, it's a lot easier to remove the radiator before working on the FDV.

You might just be able to get away with it though, if it's only a couple of pipes coming off.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
TB2
BXpert

Re: Front End taking too long to settle

Post by TB2 »

Very nice doc indeed, well written. That's from the oroginal citroen books I guess.

Well, I think I'll exchange the LHM with Hydroclean, I suspect the LHM has not been replaced in at least 10 years. Although it still looks green and fresh actually. Well I tried again today, and it rises about every second time I put it in high, and then to mid. So low->mid doesn't raise the front, low->high->mid usually does. Once it's in mid, it also reacts when I sit on the bonnet, it will come back up after a moment, so the height corrector seems to work, I guess. Also, when in the car and while the rear is rising fast with the front sitting low, I can hear some faint clapping noise coming from below. I guess it's the linkage then.

I had no idea what this linkage is - luckily I found this guide on the forum :)

I'll have to crawl under the car for this one... :|

Btw what's the difference between LHM and LHM+. This citroen parts shop sells both, LHM being slightly cheaper.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Internal leak?

Hallo TB2,

Did you check for an internal leak within the height corrector? (Excessive LHM flow @ Return pipe No.2 at the reservior).

If and when you solve the problem do post a feedback of what it was and how you solved it!

Don't know what the difference is between the two types of LHM but I guess it is safer to use the "+" version.

Best regards,
19 TRS Estate
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Hallo Carl!

Sorry did not see your name!

Remember if you are crawling under the car --- axle stands!

Don't take a chance!

Best wishes
19 TRS Estate