Bx choke problem

BX Tech talk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

Bx choke problem

Post by kevlights »

BX TRS 1986 petrol manual 32-43 weber 16 auto choke
the wax cylinder mechinism auto choke should have a tin ? cover over it? according to the manual (1986 petrol 5 speed TRS BX16) mine is missing so im busy out in the wokshop making on that looks like the picture in the manual. will it make a difference to the cold start problems im having?
and tha low/ slow idle problem?
,just for the hell of it i have wound in the adjustment as far as it will go, at least it looks a lot closer to the hanes manual picture on page 4A.18 picture21.8a and 21.9
before it wasnt even any where near the roller or lever
is the the adjustment; of having the auto choke screw wound all the way in a good idea? or will i upset some other setting by doing this? thanks regards Kev have asked on the aussy site but hoping for more info thanks ,Kev
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Hey Kev I thought you had sold that car or did you pull out just before it closed?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 242230.htm

Be interested to hear if you get this sorted as cold start problems are something my TRS suffers from as well. Likes the warm starts and those warm summer days just hates these cold winter mornings.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

hi crazy kiwi expert;your a BX owner right !!

Post by kevlights »

seems to be a common problem with the choke wax cylinder ;as it ages its failing to fully open ,or close the choke properly ;regardless of adjustment!!
the BX didnt meet reserve,ive spent too much, on it, to give away so its relisted hope it goes to someone who appreciates the time and energy expended ,its a good car listed on Trade Me in NZ. Citroen BX TRS 1986
Closes: Mon 3 Aug 9:22 am (#231242230)
I have my eye on a BX 16 valver and a CX and a a ZX which ever comes within budget and within transport home range ;also a small matter of space; and not too forget, Her that sits on couch and mutters "what do you want another sitroan for?"
My feeling is the question is rhetorical !!
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Good luck with the selling its a unique colour I must say.

As a thought have you considered replacing the Auto Choke with a manual conversion? This is something I am considering but some strange reason Kiwi mechanics or should say auto Technicians can not quite grasp the idea.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Im going to have to get the 16TRS looked at sooner rather than later I think its becoming apparent its not running right, it seems to be that its choking itself too much and chucks a cloud of smoke out under hard acceleration

Anyone fancy rebuilding a solex carb? :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

Bx carb tune running rich -cold start-problems

Post by kevlights »

http://www.racetep.com/webjettune.html

found this about carb tuneing -the solex and weber both seem to have similar problems ,either starting to lean and running rich or the opposite;starting too rich and running lean ,mine emmits grey black smoke when cold /cool but is as good as gold when warm;
even when talked to nicely its been a barstard to keep on tune;dont tell it i said that
" come on little green car" , I encourage it at the lights and round abouts, when its threating to stall;
get some strange looks from the passenger,oblique side ways glance with raised eyebrow--,silent communiation which screams NUTTER .
however if they could see the fancy foot work while trying not to get impaled on the plastic fantastic 4x4 s bullbar ,the said passenger would be looking for alternative transport;
what do you call heel and toeing on the brake and accelerater at the same time, ,Ive been bunging it into neutral at intersections caressing the brake with the left foot while giving it a few revs ;
All the while reassuring my self that Citroens are an experiance to be enjoyed ; Ha ; then it goes bloody well on the open road and round the twisty bits,quiet ,smooth ,comfortable : different bloody hell im beginng to sound like i enjoy it ! via la difference <im off to buy another one!!! here is the carb link again hope its usefull cheers regards Kev
http://www.racetep.com/webjettune.html
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

So Kev you sound like a Kiwi who knows how to drive using the old hell n toe :lol:

If I lived in a town my TRS would be driven the same way. Theres a certain knack to getting her started which I noted this morning my wife manged 3rd attempt :? Normally it involves from cold 6 pumps of the accelerator before ignition then slight pressure and maybe get a cough out of it. Once it is going just keep the foot slightly down and catch the stall before it happens. (the wife failed this in the 100ft down the drive :lol: ). The biggest pig is the last part of our drive which is basically a steep ramp to the road. You got no choice but to brake and yes probably stall.

The worse part is not being able to start again as now you sat on the main road with vehicles whizzing by at 70kph (actually higher) trying to get her going again. Then theres the pull away! Again easing it up to speed while that 4WD with Bull bars and a ski rack hurtles into the villlage right up your a#$@. I tend to let these nutters go as once she is up to temp and speed the first set of corners I am then breathing down their necks and waiting for the opportunity to blast pass them 8)

ONe thing is for sure I wont be taking the TRS up to the ski area car parks! Just imagine trying to get out of one of them with a car that dont like the cold!
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

cold start woes BX low idle associated

Post by kevlights »

some old codger at the car club must of been observing my starting antics,
same as yours !! start move away stall ,swear,get it going to down end of drive way;stall again, ditto ,move over to intersection, stall nearly but not quite ,bog down--- burrp burrr and zooom away, in a cloud of exhaust fumes, all the while trying to avoid eye contact with the driver of the vehicle behind ,who is impaitienly waiting to ram me up the bum; anyway old
codger mutters "open the bloody bonnet" muttery mumble chewing of bottom lip and more muttering, produces a medium square shanked wooden handle screw-driver and yells at top of his voice for all to hear;
'Who the f***ks been rooting this" then he proceeds to adjust the idle /choke, and slams the bonnet down, glares at me and mutter mumble grumble buggers off into the beer tent;
apparantly did his apprentiship "on those bloody things hate them bloody mongrels of things" good Mechanic ! grumpy old man, thanks again owe you a few more cool ones ... he reckons the gasket on the top of the carb needs to be replaced as its part of the float adjust ??system
Turboalternator
Confirmed BX'er

Weber Carb adjustment

Post by Turboalternator »

Hallo Kev,

Have you sorted out your choke problem and are you still interested in input?

I have a 19TRS and I can say that I've had a nightmare with my Weber carburettor too. However, on the way I have learnt a lot!

In adjusting a Weber carb there is a lot that needs to be checked. I'd have to explain and to write it all down in a post and so I don't want to write it all for nothing. So unless you are still interested I won't do it!

It would appear that very few of us still have petrol BX's.

Regards,
19 TRS Estate
In the past: 2CV, Dyane 4, GSA
Be faithful to your BX and she'll be faithful back
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

bx choke --carb problems

Post by kevlights »

yes please any info is greatly appreciated ,have PM ,to you regards Kev;my BX has decided that it doesnt like very cold starts,
so ive bought a red ZX Volcane turbo diesel 1995 with klms on it from TM 299,000 klms $1000 and change;,pick it up this weekend;that will teach the little green car to misbehave !!
will be using this as a work hack and as a base to experiment with bio fuels and waste -recycle diesel --oil.will start a message about that to night.
im actually thinking of keeping the BX as a weekend run about ,sunday car, type of thing ive, sort of got attached to it,now that ive got used to its quirks and idiosyncrasys i quite like it
having talked myself into keeping it any info on tuning the weber 32-43 carb;petrol manual 5 speed non air con 1986 BX .MK I will be very usefull;
thanks regards Kev
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I'd be keen on reading it too.

Can the waxstat thing not be replaced - -are they extinct?

Mine starts very well but I feel the choke closes too early.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

A bit off topic, but carbs were mentioned on here, so is the one below of any use to anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBURETTER-FOR-C ... 911.c0.m14
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.