16v coughing/spluttering under load.

BX Tech talk
Matt H
1K Away

16v coughing/spluttering under load.

Post by Matt H »

A bit of an intermittent fault really...

In all the time I've had the car it has done this weird stutter/missfire type thing very occasionally (Twice in the first month, then a couple of times in the weeks leading up to the MoT), consistently when at 3/4-full throttle.

I have a feeling that this might have something to do with it:

I have basically come to this conclusion for a couple of reasons:

1) What was in the past a small niggle, has become a massive problem after I had to move the filter/AFM for access at the weekend, and the car has at times been undrivable...

2) I seem to remember Kitch mentioning a similar problem with his in this area.

3) The Induction kit has a bracket which is bolted to the AFM, but is not attached to the body... so it is moving around a lot more than it should, which really can't be good for the broken multiplug.

A couple of things to ask really...

Would the multiplug (which has snapped clips and is held on with the pictured tie-wraps) cause such a problem?

Does anybody know where the bracket for the induction kit is supposed to bolt on?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I suppose this is obvious, but replacing the multiplug would be a good start. If you can find one.

Clean all the connections with IPA or similar, spray can is easiest.

Holding the connector on with a tie wrap should be OK so long as the terminals are clean and touching.

A better bodge may be to wrap a thin cable tie around the connector, then loop another round the AFM top and around each short side of the connector, that would hold it on straighter.

As an experiment, it may be worthwhile to refit the standard air box,to see if that movement is a problem.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mike E (uk) wrote:Clean all the connections with IPA or similar
Would lager work just as well? :wink:

These people may have what you need to replace the connector, good luck

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Mike, I think that re-fitting the standard airbox is a great idea... I need to buy a filter tomorrow and give it a go.

I'll give everything a good clean-up and try to connect the multiplug in a slightly more secure way for now, until i get a new one.

And Mat, that is one of the best websites I've ever seen :)

Thanks everyone,
Matt
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

VWP suck ass, there not the cheapest, often slow and have a terrible telephone manner if you disturb them. Well that was my last experience, though i've had some ok dealings with them.

Pole Volt however are excellent, a semi retired one man band who has all the time in the world for his customers. Can you see where my loyalty lies? He's also pretty good at sourcing random connectors from people lie Sauriau and Tyco.

I think the connector is a 6 way JPT off the top of my head. And i would say replacement is the best way to go!!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Thanks for the heads up Vanny... I'll trust your judgement on that and give Pole Volt a go.

Having said that, it almost looks like it is the AFM itself which has been broken in the past... Which is a bit of a bastard (I really need to see how it should look before I buy a plug or airflow meter). Still, re-fitted the standard airbox today, and immediately noticed an increase in throttle response... going to give the car a proper run tomorrow into work and see if the problem persists.

Have also ordered a new cap and rotor arm and will probably go for a set of Magnecor leads next month.

I guess that changing everything piece by piece will eventually fix the problem :lol:

Cheers,
Matt
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Sounds like what I had, although mine had the worst effect with lateral movement, like going round corners. But that plug is alot more troublesome that you'd think once it plays up.

If it's totally shot, I'd chop it off for now and use some individual spade connectors. Won't be pretty (although you could use the rubber boot to cover it) but at least you ensure a good contact.

Another thing mine did was kick back (almost like over-boosting) at high revs at one point. Turned out a cheap Intermotor rotor arm had been used and one of the three allen bolts had come out and pierced the back of the dizzy cap, causing it to arc between two cylinders when spinning above 5k revs. Couldn't see it without removing the cap itself. If you'ev got intermotor, get a Beru setup (or Citroen OE if you fancy being ripped off!) as they're much better. I went Beru and a bit of lock tight later have no issues at all.

If it is your AFM I've got a spare on you can try if you ever pass by! :lol: Only other thing is check the wire to the crank sensor hasn't had the insulation torn anywhere. But I'd almost bet money your problem is that dodgey plug.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Since I cleaned and re-bodged the multiplug, as well as re-fitting the standard airbox (I'd forgotten how nice they sound as standard :shock:) it has been behaving itself.

Got lots of new ignition bits coming this week... and I notice that all the wires coming out of that multiplug are the same colour. Which is nice :roll: