Front Suspension parts

BX Tech talk
CaM
BXpert

Front Suspension parts

Post by CaM »

I've bought a phase 1 bx that was in really good condition.
However, whilst I buggered around deciding, the guy that owned it hit a slippery patch of road, mid corner, and went up on a curb, bending the front crossmember and the swaybar drop link on the lefthand side.
It doesn't seem to have damaged the floors or the alignment of the chassis so i think it's worth playing with, especially since it only cost me about the same as the guy had recently spent on a new battery for it.

What i need to know is, is all the front stuff he same between phase1 and 2? I know the rear beams are slightly different.
I'll be replacing the lhs wishbone, strut, swaybarlink, and main crossmember at a minimum.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I think all the series 1 cars had differences in that the wishbones are located to the subframe with bearings rather than bushes, however provided you fit another subframe complete with wishbones, it should be a straight (and surprisingly easy) swap.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

That's cool. It'll be easier to get someone to sell me a whole front end anyway, I would expect.

I think this car's lucky in that, the crossmember has twisted about itself, with the weak point at the rear of the subframe where the wing things come backward has creased and gone from there.
aside of the bent swaybar link, and a bend in the lower part of the mudguard, it's damage free. The rim's got a ding in it too, but since it's running on pug 205gti 14" pepperpots, and I've got a myriad of pug wheels to choose from it should be a relatively easy thing to fix :D
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Sounds like a nice car, have you any pics? :)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

Not just yet. Will post some as soon as I get it.
It's a friend's brother's. He bought it about a year ago with new spheres all round. red, sunroof, 1.6 w/ tumbler speedo and l.e.d tacho. beige interior.
paint's great.
engine and box are solid as (however I'm planning on putting either one of my spare mi16 engines, or my 205's old 1.9l 8v in it at some stage)
was waiting to get rid of my 309gti before i bought it off him, and in the interim he crashed it.
probably end up cheaper for me anyways even after fixing this :D
Been so eager to get another bx. I've got a 405 mi16 and a 309gti that need little work to be good cars but they're so uninspiring as a 'daily driver' compared to bx's. I've had a '78 cx2400 pallas to hoon around in whilst I sort some hydro leaks and things, for the last few weeks, and the longing to own a bx has come back so strongly.
Still got my ID19 in bits though, doing a full lhm conversion :roll: I'm a sucker for punishment
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

what year is the car,

also it was only the very early MK1's had tapper bearings in the front whishbones, the ride on these very early BX's was far smoother as the arms could float with the susspension

and as jonathan says they are all intercahangeable, MK1 and MK2 front and rear sub frames,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

As well as taper bearings rather than bushes, the rod they locate on which runs through the front arm is a different diameter to the later part, so logically the front arms must be different too. I'd check for any distortion/damage in that department.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

I think it's an 85 model.
looking forward to doing this actually. am on the lookout for a knackered ph2 donor. people over here are terrified of citroen so they can often be had for peanuts for an otherwise fine car just with a blown headgasket or something.

will post back when i pick the car up with pictures etc
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

CaM wrote: people over here are terrified of citroen so they can often be had for peanuts for an otherwise fine car just with a blown headgasket or something.
About 5 years ago would disagreed with your statement because back then the BX value was much higher than it was in the UK. But it seems to be the trend now days that older cars worth nothing and not just citroens.

Then again I picked up my 19TRS for peanuts as a none runner for $300 the problem was simply a broken spark plug core dropped in a cylinnder that was fished out more through luck than patiance. It may not be a easy starter but its more efficant fuel wise than its more expensive stable mate. Then again I paid out $2K to have the head fixed on that, simply put people are not prepared to spend money on something they dont know. Its to easy to just pick up another car!

Good to hear though that your making the effort on a MKI maybe kevlights will part with his to you for parts.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

yeah. bx's jsut aren't loved enough to have many enthusiasts. I own other models that people pay illy money for, and they're not even citroens.

you're up ohakune way aren't you? there's a white bx at horopito wreckers 'for sale'. I wonder if it's there still. was an auto that was rather rough. might be worth getting to strip if they don't want much for it.
There's a 405mi16 at Manunui wreckers too, or, was. I've got the whole front end out of it sitting at my parents.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I think it's an 85 model.
If it's an '85 then I think it has the later rubber bushings and thicker spindle of all the later cars.

Yea, experience taught me that a heavily kerbed Mk1 BX will quite likely have a bent front subframe.. :roll:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

can't find a buyer for my 309gti (it's really, realllly tidy and only the price of a set of speedlines to suit it) so I'm probably going to pull it to bits and repower the bx with the engine out of it. maybe on 45s for laughs.
:wink:
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

bought a pretty tidy (sadly) bx14 for $150 the other day to use a parts for this thing. I'm tossing up whther to get a new windscreen and get it roadworthy and sell on or whether to use the fornt end for the ph1. the crossmembers seem to be the same.....
an offshoot is that by pulling it to bit's i'd have a spare gearbox to suit my sisters pug 106xsi. they seem to be a weak point (flatmate has spent ages searching for a reasonably priced one to slot into his 205gr)
Cresco750
My Cars: ‘87 CX25 GTi Turbo 2

Post by Cresco750 »

Cam, you need to get rid of all those french sh*#heaps and buy a Corolla!

Ah hang on; I just remembered I also own a small collection of said french sh*#heaps too :roll:
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

haha, I think you're right. it's so addictive though.