Strange noise

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Strange noise

Post by mnde »

Car makes a sharp "crack" noise, like there's free play in something if I steer "enthusiastically" to the right, e.g. swinging it into a carpark space, or if I accelerate strongly from a standstill at a junction, turning right. It comes from the NSF. Lower wishbone bushes and droplinks are less than a year old, and this noise happened even before they were changed (and they were all cream crackered)

What could it be?

Cheers,

Mark.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Well, I also had a crack (well more of a clonk tbh) that occurred upon accelerating after braking and sometimes swerving. It was mysterious since I had the car up on 4 post lift, wheels off and checked every ball joint and bush of the front axle with a long lever to no avail - they were all play free as you'd hope from a 50Kmiles car. The knock was betting worse.

:roll: Hmm

Then someone on here suggested the rear pair of mountings of the front subframe can work loose. I checked and mine was not tight. I tried to tighten but found that the hidden nut was just turning and required the carpet lifted, this was months ago.. I recently lifted the carpet investigating the wet driver's foot well and to tighten the nut finally.

Result: knock totally gone in all circumstances.

So! check the mounting nuts of the front subframe![/i]
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Could be a very stiff (almost seized) top or bottom balljoint, with the sharp "crack" occurring when it finally decides to move, as in turning enthusiastically into a carpark! :wink:
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Aerodynamica wrote: Then someone on here suggested the rear pair of mountings of the front subframe can work loose.
Glad my suggestion worked. It could also have been slightly loose hub ball joints.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ah, thank you - I'd plain forgotten who'd suggested it. Thanks again it sorted it right out - it now again feels like a genuine 50K miles car.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'