Sloppy Gearchange

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Sloppy Gearchange

Post by Tim Leech »

Im impressed with the little 14TE, having never driven one before its alot pokier than I imagined, ok its noticeably slower than the TRS but the non power steering is light and direct and starting it from hot or cold is a joy compared to some petrol BXs!.

What lets her down is a very sloppy and quite pondourous gearchange. Owen drove her home and said his 14TGE was similar but is there a way to adjust/tighten things up a bit?

Ta!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you need to identify where the play <technical word> is.

Likely in the linkages between gearbox and gear lever pivot at the back of the gearbox. Give them a wiggle, if they are very loose the plastic cap inserts have worn and you can swap the linkages. If the bushing at the bottom of the gear stick has failed you will get a LOT of play but i think only in one direction.

Failing that it could be the pivot bolt is loose, or the gearbox is knackered of the gear knob might be broken/loose.

Can you describe the play a little better?
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Yep, careful examination of the mechanical linkges is the only route to diagnosis here. :D

However, I seem to remember hearing on the radio that "Rain stopped Play". :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The gears are easy to engage but you can "waggle" the lever about alot when its in gear, will have it on the ramp soon and take a look, does it have a BE3 box as its a 1.4TU?
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Both my 14's , which I have had from a relatively low mileage, have had a very loose feeling in the gearchange. I have always been told is part of the model, feels like stirring porridge. Never got worse . The 19GTi has a totally different feel.

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Mike Holdstock wrote:Both my 14's , which I have had from a relatively low mileage, have had a very loose feeling in the gearchange. I have always been told is part of the model, feels like stirring porridge. Never got worse . The 19GTi has a totally different feel.

Mike
Thanks Mike, the 14E Leader I had was similar in feel although had the old gearbox in sump engine, guess Im used to modern cars, plus the 16v box is so sweet in comparison, will have a look under there when shes on the ramp to see if theres anything obvious.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you might need to remove a heat shield to correctly chck the bushing at the bottom of the gear lever when coming from below. Better to check all linkages from above to be honest, easily accessed, nothing needs removal, easier to observe etc etc ramps are not the answer to everything!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

OKidokes, will take a look when I get chance.