man gearbox/clutch issues

BX Tech talk
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

man gearbox/clutch issues

Post by Magpi »

TZI19 2BL Man gearbox

im having clutch issues and change issues
i can change up thought he gears no troubles but its a arm wrestle to change back down into 2nd and 1st
even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it can be really hard to push in and when it does it goes in with a thud some times
it will every now and then jump out of gear just as im engaging the clutch and i get a nice gear grinding noise

revers is next to impossible to move into with out hearing the nice gear grinding noise even at a idle speed a a total stand still and will always jump out of gear unless i keep my hand on the gear shift

the clutch is very heavy

i have had some open say its the release arm
and some one else say its the syncro that's stuffed
and a third said it may be a string loose in the clutch

could really do with some help on this one
im looking at getting a clutch kit to replace the friction pad as well as its been slipping every now and then (4000rpms in 3rd while only doing 40km/h)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: man gearbox/clutch issues

Post by Way2go »

Magpi wrote:TZI19 2BL Man gearbox

im having clutch issues and change issues
i can change up thought he gears no troubles but its a arm wrestle to change back down into 2nd and 1st
even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it can be really hard to push in and when it does it goes in with a thud some times
it will every now and then jump out of gear just as im engaging the clutch and i get a nice gear grinding noise

revers is next to impossible to move into with out hearing the nice gear grinding noise even at a idle speed a a total stand still and will always jump out of gear unless i keep my hand on the gear shift

the clutch is very heavy

i have had some open say its the release arm
and some one else say its the syncro that's stuffed
and a third said it may be a string loose in the clutch

could really do with some help on this one
im looking at getting a clutch kit to replace the friction pad as well as its been slipping every now and then (4000rpms in 3rd while only doing 40km/h)
Sounds like you should change the clutch anyway with these clutch type effects and then assess the gearbox afterwards.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

thanks

i have just bought a clutch kit so will see if it fixes the issue

fingers crossed

the confusing thing is it only happens when the car is warmed up not when its cold

and only happens onteh change down into second and first doesnt happen on the way up in the gears
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Re: man gearbox/clutch issues

Post by mnde »

Way2go wrote:Sounds like you should change the clutch anyway with these clutch type effects and then assess the gearbox afterwards.
I'd get a new clutch cable as well.

Regards,

Mark.
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

it had a new clutch cable
was changed over in feb this year that's wen i started having these issues

but yes you may be right may have to do that
again
:?
after the fun of trying to get the cable through the rubber plug im not sure i really ever want to have to do one of those again
hardest cable to get through the rubber boot i have come across with a bx
and the fact i have big hands does not go well when its a contortion trick to get things in and out in that narrow spot
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Can't see why you should have to do it again, but if you do, I've found it much easier to remove the pedal box.
Usually takes about an hour, all done :D
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

If the problems really started after you changed the clutch cable....perhaps you have accidentally routed the cable incorrectly?

Like you say, it can be tricky to get the pedal end connected!
As Ken advised, removing the pedal box makes the job a bit easier.
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

thanks guys for the info
this was the process i used ot replace the cable

it was the rubber plug between the engin and the inside of the car i had the troubel with as the cable i bought did nto come with it already installed so had to try and refeed if existing one onto the new cable

also it is very hard to get the clip that holds the cable protector tothe pedal box

best way to feed the cabel through teh rubber plug is pre heat the rubber in boiling water
gaffa tape the cable end to
take plug out of water and turn inside out
apply KY jelly to the inside of the plug (as in the outside hwne not turned inside out)
and then push like you mave neber pushed before

i have used other lubes and find them to be better than ky but not sure on there avalability in the UK
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Magpi wrote:apply KY jelly and then push like you mave neber pushed before

i have used other lubes and find them to be better than ky but not sure on there avalability in the UK
:shock: The mind boggles...

I've used Moly grease before, but my wife complained about the mess it made of the duvet. :wink:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Vaseline is just fine! :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

mountainmanUK wrote:Vaseline is just fine! :lol:
Im not saying a word :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

was the clutch heavy before you replaced the cable,, if so it is more likely its your clutch on its way out,

also what happens when there is to much load on the cable, it might end up tearing the bracket the outer cable buts against off the face of the pedel box,

as its only held in place by three spot welds,

you must also make sure the nylon end of the outter cable is corectly seated if you have the later type of cable (two piece bulkhead end fitting pain in the BBBBB),

otherwise your cable might fail prematurly as the inner cable can shaff on the edge of the bracket

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

citronut wrote:also what happens when there is to much load on the cable, it might end up tearing the bracket the outer cable buts against off the face of the pedel box.
regards malcolm
looka liek this may be the one of the torubles
last night while comign up to a set of lights it popped and the cluch would nto move at all
was fun having ot do the flate bed of shame home (myrtle (may car) on the back of a flate bed towe truck the 30km home form where i was)
lucky i have really good road side assictance that covers me for up to 50km of towing in my home city and full transport and hire of car out of my home town

its my own fault as when i replaced the cable in feb i didnt push the littel O plug in to the nylon housing
i was listenignot som eone elses advise at the time and they advised didnt need ot do it as it would work ok with out it pushed in
my bad
expensive leason learnt
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if your pedel has hit the floor it could be your cable has shaifed through were the outter was not seated corectly and locked by that silly little nylon ring,

also the main nylon end has a locater which must locate into the slot you place the inner through on the bracket, otherwise it will never seat corectly,

or if the bracket has ripped of the pedel assembaly it can be welded thouraghly whit the pedel bo off the car

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

well i may have discovered all my torubles
and it comes down to a simple little bolt

the bolt for the swing arm that that the clutch cable ataches to was hanging on by a coupel of threads
on trying to tighten it back up it would not budge
i undid the bolt and had a look intot he hole to realise the thread had been damaged on the screw in point on the clutch housing the boltis fine and no damage tot he thread there

looks liek i will need ot re tap the hole but just waiting back on som eadvise on that from one of the BX guru's here in australia

fingers crossed we ahev found the issue